Organic Fish Fertillzer

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This spring I purchased a large bottle of organic fish fertillzer. I only used about 1/4 of the bottle,can I keep it for next spring or should I just throw away? The label doesn't have any kind of shelf live date.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Goobly Goop, NyBoy!

That stuff can't get much more decayed! I suppose things may separate into layers in the bottle but shaking should mix them again. And, the N-P-K nutrients should all still be in there.

Anyway, the Alaska 5-1-1 that I buy and put on the leeks and such just goes on-and-on, I figure.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup, i had mine for a few years, no problem...until i left it where the dogs could EAT IT! :( filthy foul wretched beasts...there was only a little bit left in the bottle, but they polished it off...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had fish emulsion eat through the container from one growing season to the next. Talk about a nasty mess! This is one manufacturer that seems to be cutting corners on their packaging so much that the containers just don't hold up. I have had bags of their potting soil disintegrate quickly. Maybe they are supposed to be biodegradeable, but I would prefer they don't break down with product still in them.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, i think the packages are biodegradable on most things now. :rolleyes: i have my own fish fertilizer makers, i own Koi and goldfish! whenever i need to clean their filter i just grab a bucket and rinse the pad into that. i have on occasion bought the fish emulsion stuff but i've never noticed the bottle breaking down. i'll have to remember to keep it away from the dog. :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is why I want to run irrigation from my full stocked pond in the backyard! Plenty of fish poo and water for all my beds... and its FREE!!! Hahaha

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alaska 5-1-1 is what I have good to know I can save it for next spring
digitS' said:
Good Goobly Goop, NyBoy!

That stuff can't get much more decayed! I suppose things may separate into layers in the bottle but shaking should mix them again. And, the N-P-K nutrients should all still be in there.

Anyway, the Alaska 5-1-1 that I buy and put on the leeks and such just goes on-and-on, I figure.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Keep it out of the sun. Sun won't hurt the fertilizer but the plastic bottle it comes in can turn brittle in the sun. I once tried to pick up a jug of it that had been sitting in the sun and the handle broke loose in my hand. The jug crashed down on a concrete slab and you can guess the rest.

Latest posts