Organic question

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My gardens have never been treated with chemical pesticides or fertilizers. However....the natural fertilizer I use from the chicken coop comes from chickens fed regular feed (non organic) So, does that make the veggies not organic? Or does the chickens feed not matter?

Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess the question is- matter to whom? If you want to be certified organic- then "no". I have seem some info that animal manure of any kind does not fit the organic bill. My chickens are fed organic feed, so I suppose that makes their poop- organic... I like to say, I grow my garden using organic principles. No added chemicals, etc. Chicken poop makes great fertilizer and using it in your garden is another way to recycle, reuse. I certainly wouldn't waste it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MuranoFarms said:
My gardens have never been treated with chemical pesticides or fertilizers. However....the natural fertilizer I use from the chicken coop comes from chickens fed regular feed (non organic) So, does that make the veggies not organic? Or does the chickens feed not matter?

Thanks!
If you want to be certified you have to jump through all the hoops but for your own garden I would certainly consider it organic.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would say yes, it is organic. As lesa pointed out , certified organic is another matter and subject to USDA and state governing boards, but it seems that sometimes even that is possible.

This may help as a starting point:
http://www.extension.org/article/18349#substances

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
MuranoFarms said:

Thanks!
If you want to be certified you have to jump through all the hoops but for your own garden I would certainly consider it organic.
Key phrase if you want to sell. Otherwise, I agree w/all of you that you are pesticide free. Good luck.

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I am not going to jump through the hoops to be certified organic. I can't even buy organic chicken feed here, so the shipping costs alone would kill me! Not to mention other livestock we'll be getting and you know chickens :rolleyes: they'll be stealing their feed! I'll be doing some farmers markets and was wondering how to print my signage. What I can say and what I can't. It sounds like chemical free & pesticide free are my best choices.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about:

Murano Farms Fresh Produce

Chemical Free & Pesticide Free

Grown the way nature intended

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's good wording. Organic has an exact legal definition, natural doesn't.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many of the farmers at my CSA, say produced using organic methods. I think you are okay if you don't imply that you are certified. I like bid's description...

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As others have said, for all intents and purposes its organic.

True, to be certified organic an operation must go through hoops and formally apply for certification. However, if your operation sells under $5000 annually you can use the term "organic" and be ok (2002 Federal legislation), of course should the government ever audit you, you'd need to provide proof and documentation you are operating under guidelines.

Just some more info to chew on.