Organic vs Chemicals.....

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While I am, and always will be, as organic as possible.....I have come to realize, having worked with a VERY educated, organic based, experienced agronomist this year, that not ALL chemicals are, necessarilly "bad". They can ALL be bad if not applied at the proper rate, timing and time between applications. Also, a GOOD hydrate used during application helps drying, soil intake and vegetation uptake, and the stability of the chemical used. All of us who have tried to be totally organic in ALL aspects of our gardening endeavors have been, more than once, greatly dissappointed with the results. I will still try organic measures to eliminate a gardening situation or problem, FIRST.......but, I, no longer, have a problem attacking the problem, PROPERLY, with the safest chemical solution, available. EVERTHING written on a chemical "label" should be followed TO THE LETTER.......with one exception. We, at the company I work for, always start use of ANY chemical at HALF the recommended rate. Being organic-based......we view, "Less is best" if it will get the desired results. And we have found that MANY get the results we want at 1/2 to 3/4 of the recommended rate. The "harm factor" is, most often times, created by the user more that what is used. Just some food for thought from someone trying to learn as much about "dirt" as possible before being put under it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very well put Boggy. I'm in agreement with your point. Especially about using them at the correct time and dilution rate. There is no excuse for people to not read and follow the labels supplied.

I rarely use chemicals myself, but I do regard them as useful tools to be used with thoughtfulness.
A person wouldn't use a chainsaw carelessly if they realized beforehand the potential damage and harm it could cause, and the same thought should be put into chemical use.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're right, t......We utilize a 6 application / yr program. We visit all our properties once a week to make sure that nothing needs to be addressed. During the 4 month drought, we did not "get on" ANY property that was not being irrigated, regularly, due to drought stress.....but we observed nation-wide based companies, in our area, spraying yards that were, literally, already toasted. Consequently, we were behind on 2 scheduled applications, with most of our clients, when the drought "broke". THAT'S the kind of man the agronomist I work for is. For him........it's more about the turf than it is about the money.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would caution about using less than stated rates. This is how tolerance to chemicals start. The saying is a dead weed does not spread tolerance. If you just burn it, he'll develop a tolerance to that herbicide very quickly. One of the many reasons chemicals don't last.

As has been stated, organic doesn't mean chemical free, it means only chemicals that who ever is in charge of organic registration allows.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I would caution about using less than stated rates. This is how tolerance to chemicals start. The saying is a dead weed does not spread tolerance. If you just burn it, he'll develop a tolerance to that herbicide very quickly. One of the many reasons chemicals don't last.

As has been stated, organic doesn't mean chemical free, it means only chemicals that who ever is in charge of organic registration allows.
I understand what you're saying......but if less kills it, as has been experience on most but not all cases, then it's kilt. It would either work or not....for the "nots", we, usually hit it at full rate at the right timing and it "picks it up". But we deal with turf, not ag, chemicals....which I'm sure is, all together, in a different arena class.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some weeds sprayed with Roundup can show no change for a week or more and then suddenly keel over in just a few hours. It depends on how long it takes to translocate from the leaves to the roots. That's when people are tempted to dose them again when it isn't necessary.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a good classic topic.

With many of the improvements on some chemicals and improved directions it can easily be revisited.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When using Roundup, it is recommended to also add a surfactant to spread the chemical over the leaf surface quickly for better absorption. If one doesn't have an commercial surfactant handy, one can use a cheap liquid dish soap ( a good / hearty squirt into an already mixed sprayer, this limits suds from forming).

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roundup I will never use.

I refuse to encourage a company that uses the tactics that the makers of that stuff use.

Imagine; You develop a variety of commercial crop. You sell seed for that crop to a lot of farmers. A nearby farmer grows a different variety that he's been saving seed from for generations. Some pollen from the patented variety pollinates some of this old time farmer's crop. That farmer grows some seed from his crop like his family's been doing for generations. Your big huge multibazillionaire company sneaks onto the old time farmer's farmland, takes some seed, spends money to see if any of the new patented variety's genes are in the old timer's crop. They sure enough find it is part patented. SO THE BAZILLIONAIRE COMPANY SUES THE OLD TIME FARMER!!!

That, is just plum sick.

Turns out, they've been doing worse things to old farmers in India, even causing farmers there to commit suicide. No. Can't possibly turn me to having any appreciation for that company. No tactic will change my mind. Call me old fashioned.

Signed, Marshall Hugh Smyth

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Roundup I will never use.

I refuse to encourage a company that uses the tactics that the makers of that stuff use.

Imagine; You develop a variety of commercial crop. You sell seed for that crop to a lot of farmers. A nearby farmer grows a different variety that he's been saving seed from for generations. Some pollen from the patented variety pollinates some of this old time farmer's crop. That farmer grows some seed from his crop like his family's been doing for generations. Your big huge multibazillionaire company sneaks onto the old time farmer's farmland, takes some seed, spends money to see if any of the new patented variety's genes are in the old timer's crop. They sure enough find it is part patented. SO THE BAZILLIONAIRE COMPANY SUES THE OLD TIME FARMER!!!

That, is just plum sick.

Turns out, they've been doing worse things to old farmers in India, even causing farmers there to commit suicide. No. Can't possibly turn me to having any appreciation for that company. No tactic will change my mind. Call me old fashioned.

Signed, Marshall Hugh Smyth
Amen, Amen and AMEN!!!!!

Latest posts