Oriental Lily Planting

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is it too early to plant Oriental lily bulbs in large pots in Salt Lake City, Utah, Zone 6-7? Our frost-free date for planting here is May 15, but I was thinking Oriental lilies are planted sooner than that, but is it too soon for planting them in large pots, rather than directly in the ground, where they would be more protected on the sides from the cold?

Today I planted the following seeds: Black Swan Poppy, Oriental Poppy, California Poppy, Nicotiana sylvestris, datura, lettuces, arugula, parsnips, turnips, Nemophila, fragrant sweet peas, larkspur, radishes, yellow hollyhocks, forget-me-nots, & wild blue flax, a la winter sowing. Also a big sack of wildflower seed.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oriental lilies are available in a wide variety of plant sizes and bloom colors. They grow from bulbs which should be planted in the spring or fall.

Fall and early winter planting produce stems that flower at the "expected" time; planting late in the spring will produce later flowering stems, which may be a little shorter than usual if hot weather comes quickly. The following winter will reset the lilies' "clocks" and put them on "standard blooming time" again.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a few varieties of Oriental Lilies a week ago. You can plant them in spring but you have to get them in the ground early enough in the spring for best results. I say plant them now, the bulbs want to be planted as soon as possible. The earlier the better.

Hope this helps! :)

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It got down to 26 F here last night, and 27 F is predicted for Monday night.

Do you think it's safe to plant them in large pots now, outside, with temps still that low?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had some recent rains so the ground is softer for digging.

I could plant the Oriental lilies directly in the ground, rather than in pots.

However, if we have a cold snap, I could move the pots into a warmer locale, if I planted the lily bulbs in the pots.

I am thinking I could grow the Oriental lilies in the pots and let them bloom, and after they have finished blooming this summer, move them, transplanting them into permanent positions in the ground.

Which plan do you think would be better?

I worry about snails and slugs eating the bulbs in the ground, or maybe mice? Would they get a safer, better early start in the pots? Do you see any cons to the pots? Pros to directly in the ground? (not having to be disruped later, would be one, I guess)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go ahead and plant a couple in the ground and a couple in movable pots now GardenGeisha, and then plant some later.

And yes, Oriental Lilies planted late spring or in short season areas will not just maybe have slightly shorter stems, they will be short and compact beautiful plants with nice flowers.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I planted Orientals in the ground here one year on May 9 and they were up and growing by May 18 and bloomed that summer. But mice have eaten most of those, so I think I'd better stay with pots.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If mice is a problem, traps and poison baits are effective controls; in the home garden, a predatory cat or dog can be of great service.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
a cat or a dog can make a pretty good mess of the garden too while getting varmints, but as a last resort, yea.