Other than Agent Orange...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any plant that can be regenerated from a root is a plant that you definetley don't want to try and control through tillage. You'll just spread it and have 100X more. Bite your lower lip, kill it with chemicals or dig it out completely. I opt for chemicals as I'm still digging black berries up.......

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blackberries for weeds = yummy blackberry pie weeds...

:hide

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Blackberries for weeds = yummy blackberry pie weeds...

:hide
U would think but they got a disease so the berries are bad. Pull 10 up and 20 more take their place....... Of course, I planted asparagus there so I can't dig them out, can't (won't) use chemicals, so pull out and mutter under my breathe......

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, sorry to hear they are diseased Seed. Is it that virus brambles get? Only thing for that is to burn it I guess, but you have your Asparagus there, hmmm Brambles also can get some kind of powdery mildew.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Bills, I've searched and searched to try and identify this monster.
It's just a little creepy riding around and not be entirely sure of exactly where you are because of being surrounded by giant, smelly, furry green whats-its.
Ha ha..like the "Day of the Triffid's"....Least they can't run after you..

Well, at least you know it's not Horsetail, as they have ferny like foliage, but don't smell like any herb I know. Maybe you could make sachets out of it, and sell them at a local Farmers Market.. When life gives you lemons..sort of a thing..:)

The fern-like foliage in your picture, certainly does look like a species fennel or even Dill. Odd that you never see seed heads, or flowers though? Any that I grew to maturity (for seeds), eventually withered and died. And like my Dill plants, unless I let some seed drop, they didn't regrow from the same base the next year. I don't believe fennel can spread by root propagation. Weird that it returns every year?

The few variety's, that I have grown, one was for the large bulb like base, which is great eating, the other for the seeds themselves. Even the ferns could be used to add a slight Anise like flavor to salads, and other recipes, fish etc..

You may just have to pull them all by hand, in the spring while they are still small... Got a strong back?? ;)

Seedcorn, You bet..before anyone hits the weed patch with a tiller, I would definitely make sure your not just adding to the problem.:(

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not the wild anise, with the licorice flavored stems?

Latest posts