Our Environment!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made wire baskets that I keep next to the bathouse for the campers to put their recycling in before they go home. In summer I can make close to 200 bucks a month with the recycling. Aluminum makes the most money. Glass makes the least money for the weight. Clear plastic is pretty good, but even squished up it still fills a lot of volume. A typical car load, Outback station wagon, makes me 35 bucks, but in July and August and after Labor day I can jam 80 bucks worth in the car.

I would make much more but another person also does the same thing and she had prior dibs near the dumpsters which is on the way out where many remember and put their recycling.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our town the garbage is picked up by a major garbage co. from a large town just 10 miles away with a contract with the town . They make us buy our own garbage can for food products. They supply a garbage can for paper and plastic bags and another one for lawn/ weed waste. They NO LONGER supply or pick up any recycle able products such as bottles, plastic items or metals. Leaves need to be placed in front of one's home at the road gutters which may be picked up by the county garbage trucks. One is expected to bring the bottles, plastic items and metals to the recycle center and pay exorbitant fees . :rant So most everyone just dumps these along the streets. Therefore the local sheriff / police have folks (minor offenders) with orange vests picking up the trash along the roadways , placing items in orange garbage bags that are then picked up by the county garbage trucks, supervised by one of the law enforcement officers and all paid for by our high property tax dollars. :duc

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's just crazy, Bob.

We are so rural here, we have to bring in our own recycleables. I understand it would be too costly for them to come pick them up. However, we get paid for certain more valuable items, like steel and aluminum.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That business of PAYING to take your recyclables in is known as STOOPID. You pay them to take it, and then they sell it. That's called a HAND OVER FIST OPERATION. Here, a person takes the crv recyclables to a place and they pay you.

I only wish they would do it with more types of items. Paper for example. The recycle place will not give anything for paper. Tin cans don't get anything. Assorted platics get nothing. Only 2 kinds of plastic are taken for money. Clear plastic and white plastic. They now began accepting green plastic soda bottles, mixed in with the clear pastic. Any plastic that has had milk or cleaning products in it will not be taken for cash return value.

Aluminum foil is not accepted. Surprised? Me too. Wine and booze bottles have to be sorted separately from beer bottles. Wine and booze bottles are considered junk glass. Don't ask me why, but it only gets 2 cents a pound, where beer bottles get 11 cents a pound.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in NY you have to pay a deposit of 5 cents when ever you buy a can or bottle drink. If you return the empty you get your deposit back. Yet I still find beer bottles that have been thrown from cars.Makes you wonder have many people are drinking WHILE driving.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once got a ride from from a guy who promptly reaches behind his seat and pulled out a beer can.

Opens it - moments later, it was empty. He chucks it out the window.

"Can't have an open container, they say." Luckily, I was as far I needed to go.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have to pay a deposit for a can or bottle of drinks, however with the price of gas to get to a recycle center, one would have to have a large pick up load of segregated ( as to type ) bags full to just break even on the price of the deposit. ... Tipple taxation is the culprit ( deposit, gas, and property), so out the window they go.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tipple taxation?

Now.

WA State will tax that formerly-illegal smoke for the evil weed!

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not only that .... but a year ago, Washington votesr voted for the State to be out of the booze business with the promise of a lower price . The state then sold the stores and licenses to sell liquor to private individuals, grocery stores, and chain groups. So the powers that be put a NEW TAX on all booze sold in the State and now the price for a drink is HIGHER than before . Most of the private people were forced out of business due to the new high taxes equating to higher prices. Double crossed again ! :somad

Latest posts