Our little orchard

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 5 apple tree and 2 pears. They struggle a bit. As they are planted in poor clay capped soil. (Old county landfill.)
013.JPG

Pears in bloom.
010.JPG

Apples will bloom soon.
018.JPG

2 apple and 2 pears on east.
017.JPG

Three apple trees on west.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 208

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice trees. Are they dwarf, semi-dwarf, or standard? A couple of those look like well-aged trees. If your flowers are any indication, you will have plenty of tree fruit this fall.

Do you spray them? How often and with what, if I may be so nosy as to ask?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red DH cares for the trees. I think they are semi dwarf. (But could be stunted standards!) He has been trying to trim them. They are sprayed 2X a year. If he thinks about it! ... with a dormant oil spray. Usually he for gets to do it before it blooms and then we have some not so pretty fruit.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love home canned pears! Two years ago, I got my grubby hands on pears and canned them. Yummy! Also pureed some, mixed with Welch's frozen grape juice and dehydrated for fruit roll ups!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love home canned pears! Two years ago, I got my grubby hands on pears and canned them. Yummy! Also pureed some, mixed with Welch's frozen grape juice and dehydrated for fruit roll ups!
Those roll ups sound good. Grands would love them. And I do have a GOOD dehydrator now. :)

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our apple and peach trees will be blooming soon too. I'm excited because we didn't get any peaches last year....and I LOVE Monty's home made apple pie filling.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I used the solid sheets for puree. I bought mine at everythingkitchen.com. I bought the non silicone, 9 of them, for each tray. Used them too! Pureed cherry tomatoes and made tomato flakes. Good in soups.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm having problems getting the photos right. This darn thing has a mind of its own. It just won't do what I tell it. I don't know if you can see the photos in that post above or not.

Anyway, I can se that I will be thinning apples, peaches, and probably plums this year. They are just on too thick.

Methley Plum.JPG

Methley Plums

Santa Rosa Plum.JPG

Santa Rosa plums

Attachments

• Methley Plum.JPG
    Methley Plum.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 224