out of control clotheslines!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Steve, I am all about hanging clothes outside. A wonderful way to save energy and nothing smells better than sheets on the line. However, these folks took it to the extreme!! I certainly would not want to look at that view...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
How on earth does one hang clothes that high! Then leaving then 24/7/365 was NOT about drying clothes. Poor neighbors. Too bad city had to make a rule about clothes lines. At least they are still able to hang clothes out. Just not like that. Crazy :confused:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We live on an elevated site at the moment, overlooking town in the distance, and have only one suitable place where I could string a washing line... As a result half the town has a spectacular view of our washing drying, so I try to time washing to minimise drying time ( hang it at the hottest part of the day) and I draw the line (excuse the pun) at undies!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's not "performance art". What kind of art would you all that? Notice how the greens are grouped at the top left while the blues were more bottom right. I'm sure a lot of thought went into getting the colors and textures of the hanging items just right. See how hard life is for a struggling artist. Cities even pass laws against your art.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A clothesline like that one to me at least, looks more like an intentional annoyance. Maybe they went to resale shops to buy the clothes that they left out 24-7 for weeks.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am very divided on this. My mother had a clothesline from a 2nd floor window to a tree in yard ( washing machine on 2nd floor) with 4 kids and 2 adults there was always clothes hanging on line. My mother never had a clothes dryer. Everybody on the street did the same. I also am a very strong believer in freedom to do what you want in your own yard if not a danger. One day a friend and I where cleaning out a outbuilding on my property, we found a old riding mower. We draged it out and on to my driveway to get a good look at it. It was rusted and in bad shape. I gave the landscaper some money to haul it to dump. He never got around to taking it, I guess i just stopped noticing it. One day I found a note unsigned in my mailbox about the seesore mower. I got mad and went to hardware store and got 2 spray cans of neon pink paint and painted it. I left the neon pink mower there for a week before hauling to dump.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so lucky to be living well off the beaten path, especially as my clothes line would not suit the fine people of Mississauga. It is beautiful to me -- 30 feet long and 12 lines stretch along the side/back yard between two neatly stained 'goal' post structures built to hold the weight of wet clothes.

Granted, it has been years since I needed that much space, but I have seen the whole length of coated wire strung with bedding and clothes. For some reason, even if the lines can't be seen by anyone other than trespassers, I've always felt it necessary to hang the under-things between lines of larger wash so they weren't so obviously 'out there'. Silly of me, I suppose.

This year, besides holding my wash, the posts are supporting bluejay77's pole beans while his bush beans grow in the small garden space that holds each goal post. Beans and a tomato at each pole makes my clothesline do double service.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a while I had one of those clothesline hexagon shape structures on my deck. I wanted to see if I could go a full year without a dryer. Didn't make it because in winter jeans and towels didn't dry. Like Smart Red, I also placed our undies in the middle where no one could see them. Just a privacy thing.

Mary

Latest posts