Out of the loop, lol

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saw this pretty plant several years ago, asked if I could pull some up and try to transplant it at my house. It was obviously some kind of wild type flower and the lady I got it from never planted it, it just showed up one year at her house. It started blooming again tonight. On BYC someone else took a pic of one they had asking if I knew what it was. I didn't but one other Okie gardener said it looked like a 4 o'clock. Well I said I don't know what it is but it can't be a 4 oclock b/c it is a wild weed type plant. I went outside and took a better pic of the flower so she could help ID it, and L I B it sure looks 4 oclocky ......................... a couple of google searches later and wild 4 oclocks exist, I never knew.

DSC_0857.JPG
DSC_0858.JPG
DSC_0859.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does it have little black seed after blooming?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When flower dries up, should be a green seed (just one) at base. It turns black. About size of a large black pepper seed.

My 4 O'clcks have more of a trumpet type flower.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid we were visiting an aunt that had some flowers blooming but some had gone to seed. I don't know what it was (that was a lot of decades ago) but the seed sounds like it could have been this. I mentioned to Mom I could collect some seeds and grow it. She said in no uncertain terms, no. It's a weed and will spread everywhere.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I was a kid we were visiting an aunt that had some flowers blooming but some had gone to seed. I don't know what it was (that was a lot of decades ago) but the seed sounds like it could have been this. I mentioned to Mom I could collect some seeds and grow it. She said in no uncertain terms, no. It's a weed and will spread everywhere.
The article mentioned they were pretty invasive.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your Mom was a wise woman. I research new plants to death before I plant them. I don't want something that is going to take over the world.

Latest posts