Outside

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Am I the only person who believes that if it's light out, above 0 degrees, and you are capable you should be outside? I feel like being in the house is a punishment and think I'm teaching that to my grandson too, I don't know if this is good or bad. When his mom comes home from work she goes inside to eat dinner and takes my grandson in with her, I then either tell her leave him outside with me or I go in and get him since she is more of a couch potato. If it were up to her he'd never be outside and that just doesn't sit right with me.
As children we were only in the house to sleep, eat, do chores, and bathe (usually we did that in the cow tank) lol
Today when my daughter took my GS inside I followed a bit later to find him laughing and playing just fine, hmm this doesn't appear to be a punishment to him :idunno.
I did get him outside again for a little bit tonight though lol.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The house would stay a lot cleaner too, I'd imagine. Kids really need that fresh air and sunshine. Good for body, mind and soul!

Something about being stuck inside with housework that makes me feel like I must have ADHD. But as soon as I get outside, my head is clear and I can jump on one project and work through it to my satisfaction and really feel like I accomplished something for the day.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think media has made people so paranoid abound abduction that they want their kids safely in the house. Parents are lazy too. Way easier to turn on the TV. They say this generation will be the first of many to not outlive their parents because of the lazy lifestyle.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think media has made people so paranoid abound abduction that they want their kids safely in the house.

Which is funny because I think there's statistically more danger of your kid meeting some creep online right from the "safety" of their own home than running into the pedophile driving around a windowless van.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that most of the neighbor kids from the two new families play outside a great deal. (When they aren't having a personal spa day :rolleyes:).
We hear them and can always tell when they're having fun and when they're fighting.:D One of the moms was here one afternoon without the kids and was horrified at how the sound travels, even with all the trees and space between houses.
She was worried I was hearing her yell at her 4 kids all the time. I fibbed and said nope, just sounds like a good time to me.:)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid, you couldn't go down any block in my town without seeing tons of kids playing outside. Now, it is the exact opposite; strangely eerie, neighborhoods have become so quiet. I imagine it was the fear of strangers and the advent of the internet that started to change things, amongst other things. The days of kids playing outside appears to be a bygone era.
That is so sad.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that most of the neighbor kids from the two new families play outside a great deal. (When they aren't having a personal spa day :rolleyes:).
We hear them and can always tell when they're having fun and when they're fighting.:D One of the moms was here one afternoon without the kids and was horrified at how the sound travels, even with all the trees and space between houses.
She was worried I was hearing her yell at her 4 kids all the time. I fibbed and said nope, just sounds like a good time to me.:)
You are such a good neighbor!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Am I the only person who believes that if it's light out, above 0 degrees, and you are capable you should be outside? I feel like being in the house is a punishment and think I'm teaching that to my grandson too, I don't know if this is good or bad. When his mom comes home from work she goes inside to eat dinner and takes my grandson in with her, I then either tell her leave him outside with me or I go in and get him since she is more of a couch potato. If it were up to her he'd never be outside and that just doesn't sit right with me.
As children we were only in the house to sleep, eat, do chores, and bathe (usually we did that in the cow tank) lol
Today when my daughter took my GS inside I followed a bit later to find him laughing and playing just fine, hmm this doesn't appear to be a punishment to him :idunno.
I did get him outside again for a little bit tonight though lol.
I swear my Mom locked us outside any day the weather permitted! Which was pretty much o.k. as we had so many friends in the old neighborhood and things to do. Hide 'n seek, Annie Annie Overhead, Tag, bike rides, croquette, badminton, kick the can, Sardines, roller skate or ice skate, sledding, jacks, jump rope, kick ball, whiffle ball, swing sets, the list is endless!

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they are inside these young parents allow their toddlers to sit in front of that TV for hours or all day! :barnie then justify it by saying how much they learn from them shows, I disagree it's a lazy person's babysitter. I understand in small doses it's fine and maybe even beneficial but we didn't have the cartoon network and we learned our ABC'S and 123'S. Reality TV trash is all that is on, I'd rather shovel poo all day than watch that poo lol.
Housework I feel is a punishment, before my daughter moved back home with her son you could have eaten off of any surface in our house but now good luck finding a clean plate to eat off of.
I wasn't kidding when I said "sure honey put my recliner in the green house too". :frow

Latest posts