Over fertilizing with MG potting mix?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think that I have over fertilized my veggies.

I have large pots with miracle grow potting soil. On the bag it says it feeds plants for a few months.

In all my wisdom I used a diluted organic fertilizer....and now 24 hours I have leathery curled tomato leaves. I also noticed my green beans look a little yellowy all the sudden :(

Did I over fertilize?

The only other thing that I can think of is that our weather has been upper 60s-low 70s, and the last three days have been 80-87....I just don't know if it is something that I have done to damage my poor maters!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a nitrogen overdose. Sometimes you can bring them back around and reverse the yellowing with some Miracid (the water-soluable version for acid-loving things like azeleas, etc.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since Miracid is 30-10-10, won't that just continue the too much nitrogen situation, Journey?

Nitrogen can be washed out of soil fairly easily altho' I don't know how whatever is in MG potting soil works.

Seedlings need very little fertilizer. Plant growth is from photosynthesis: sunlight, carbon dioxide (air), water. Nitrogen is a part of chlorophyll and that is why green color is an indication of nitrogen in the plant.

Dace, that you are reporting the yellowing makes me wonder if it really is too much nitrogen. Perhaps they will come out of it with continuing care.

No good answer here - Wishing You Good Luck!

Steve

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I need to lighten up on my poor little plants. I think they will pull thru, they are not too bad, just bad enough to catch my attention!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope they pull out of it. I was looking at the MG potting soil yesterday, ended up not buying it though just regular supersoil.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, if it were me I would not try to correct it at all, just don't do it no more :) If it's minor they'll outgrow it; if it's major you probably werent going to be able to fix it anyhow. My money is on minor :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, Pat.....looks like a minor issue as it has not gotten any worse and the new leaves are a nice healthy green.

Perhaps it was just the due to the increase in heat? Or most likely a combination of too ,uch fert and the sudden hot sun.

Latest posts