Over Night Temperatures

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With several inches of white, powdery snow everywhere, the temperature is supposed to drop into the single digitS', tonight.

The prediction business must have been pretty difficult lately. The little snow storms were supposed to have begun earlier and amounted to more, according to my best interpretation of what the Weather Service was saying. The local teevee people seem almost outta control in their cold temperature forecasts for this week! We will see who has it more correct, the media personalities or the NOAA. I haven't checked the "big media" of the Weather Channel or Accuweather.

What I think I've found over the years of watching local weather girls and guys is that they respond more dramatically to the outdoor interests of the population. Right now, people are beginning to travel! Finals are putting a cap on fall semesters of work and the students are on the roads ... and waxing their skies! Hopefully, they aren't in any skids!

Cold! And, icy. I've barely any interest in leaving the WARM indoors!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang cold out there. I had a GFI thingy trip and all the animal waters were frozen solid this morning. I had to haul buckets of warm water for them while dh ran down the problem. I think I know what was caused it and need to get back into town to get a new heavy duty extension cord. That will be $$$.

But it was so beautiful last night! I stepped out at 11 to see what made the motion light go on, and had to stand there in my sock feet and jammies and soak in that amazing sight of moonlight on snow covered trees and brilliant stars. Just a brilliant scene!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yook me a while running throough the out-of-date granny mode of alphabital names to get that one. And it wasn't even an old lady thingy. More precisely it was a GFCI or ground fault circuit interrupter that tripped

It is a useful fire safety feature even if it didn't feel like it this morning with all the water frozen.

I really love living in the boonies where the lights of the city don't reach. The sky is so much more amazing out here as well.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here I go changing your thread:

Already well below minus 5 degrees and falling outside. Just came home to find the heat off. Drats! Don't know when it went off, but the house is down to 60 degrees (F).

Checked circuit breaker. Nada
Checked with son. Nada
Grandson suggested starting up the fireplace, but it's bedtime and I'm not feeding the fire all night.
Son called back with some online suggestions he'd researched.
I went back down with tools and request to recheck all the breakers larger than 30 amps.
Flipped one, another one, another and another. With the fifth and last breaker -- not labeled in the box, I heard the beautiful sound of rumbling from the ground and the heat was back on.
Whew!
Glad I didn't need the tools. I really didn't want to start taking the furnace apart -- but I was game to if needed.

Back to your thread, bay.... see, GFCI's are not the worst possible things that can go out at the worst possible times.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year I went to turn on some xmas lights, they would not go on. I called the electrician who put in the outdoor outlet.He showed up pushed a button lights came on handed me bill for $90. I was so angry he never said to try reset button I never called him again. He lost out on a lot of work over $90

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
they are calling for a 40% chance of freezing rain Friday night and Saturday morning, bet theres going to be a run on bread eggs and dog food at the store.
thank goodness it's the weekend.. dw and i have a dollar bet weather they brine the roads or not...

oh panic mayhem the world is coming to a end....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is Soooo COLD here already. Dipping below freezing tonight. Wind is moving what snow we have had over the roads, they are starting to drift. Will be interesting to see them in the morning. And it sounds like we could get the nasty mixed presip. Friday night into Saturday. Yep @majorcatfish the world could end! LOL ;)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is Soooo COLD here already. Dipping below freezing tonight. Wind is moving what snow we have had over the roads, they are starting to drift. Will be interesting to see them in the morning. And it sounds like we could get the nasty mixed presip. Friday night into Saturday. Yep @majorcatfish the world could end! LOL ;)

you and everyone above the arctic circle stay safe.....