Over wintered pineapple in need of help

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I managed to keep a pineapple plant alive over winter inside but now its looking odd.
It looks like its about to fall over.
leaves are all still bright green except for the very bottom ones which do have brown edges and it seems to have a small 'pup' growing up along side it.

I'm hoping that means I get to have two plants come summer but this leaning has got me worried.

This is my first attempt at growing pineapples and I dont really know very much about them except that they do not like cold.

Should I just put a stake in to prop it up?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I managed to keep a pineapple plant alive over winter inside but now its looking odd.
leaves are all still bright green except for the very bottom ones which do have brown edges and it seems to have a small 'pup' growing up along side it.

I'm hoping that means I get to have two plants come summer but this leaning has got me worried.

This is my first attempt at growing pineapples and I dont really know very much about them except that they do not like cold.

i guess it is worth a shot. :) i don't know anything about them either other than i like eating them...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

I have 2 pineapple plants that have a fruit and are learning over greatly from the weight. They take a long time to ripen in a pot. I am leaving them be. They will often split and send out smaller plant from the base as yours is doing. It will send out more. Get some thin bamboo stakes or some such thing and try to straighten it slowly. I give them orchid fertilizer when I think of it and they seem to like it. Have you put it outdoors? They central plant may be done but leave it for now. I also put them in indirect sunlike for a while. One day you will be rewarded with the most beautiful bud that you have ever seen. I have noticed that tropical plant growers use and iron fertilizer but I have not bothered to do that.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got my plant last summer probably a bit late so it hasnt produced any fruit. the pup is growing from the base on the outside. I was surprised to see that.
It is outside now next to my porch where it gets some winter sun and rain but is protected from any frosts.
I'll have to check out Orchid fert. Thanks.

The other plant I got, I accidentally knocked the growing tip off somehow. I thought it had died but the last two leaves are still green....no pups there yet. Actually, that one, I left out all winter thinking it was dead.
These are two different types but i lost the tags so I dont know which is the green and which is the red type.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two I started from tops. They are into the 2nd summer outdoors. in the basement under lights for the winter. Hope to see some sign that I will ever get fruit ….. someday!

Latest posts