Overwintering Experiment

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only thing I used my unheated solar shed has been to overwinter a few fig trees. This spring I had it insulated , but did not ad heat. Going to see what I can over winter, I am going into this thinking I will lose everything. Vinca, dahlia geraniums and poke a dot plant. The fig trees I am not worried about. What do you over winter ?
DSCF0300.JPG
DSCF0302.JPG

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do I overwinter? Mainly bad habits. Boy do my habits get bad in the winter. I gain weight too.

I don't bring in anything. I plant garlic in September for next years harvest. I've been clearing an area in the garden to get that done. Sometimes I plant onions in the fall too. They tend to bolt a little more than onions planted in the spring but I get some green onions pretty early. And I get usable onions from them too.

I grow kale and chard from seed for a fall garden, they are planted and growing already. I might or might not get some fall greens but usually they overwinter and I get some really early greens in the spring. I also start kale and chard seeds in January for transplant in late February or early March, depending on the weather outside. it's not the cold here, the ground needs to be dry enough to work.

I have a few herbs, oregano, chives, sage, and thyme, that makes it through the winter and comes back strong in the spring.

To really answer your question, I don't bring anything in to overwinter it. But I overwinter some stuff in the ground.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have overwintered pepper and tomato plants as well as the many tender zone plants that I can't resist in the spring.

Of course, I do have a heated sun room. Not tropical, but it shouldn't get below 40 degrees in there at night.

chefsdreams

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
that is one heck of a shed. if you decide not to use it for figs, i could move in. :cool:

i'm constantly trying to grow herbs thru the winter but i can't seem to keep them very long. nothing like fresh parsley in february.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I missed this thread back in early September. Ya know, that was still part of the busy time of the year ;).

Yes. I have lots of rosemary in the unheated greenhouse! There's the lemon verbena in there, too.

Right now, the plastic film that was over the pvc hoops is off. It was pulled over while we had those subzero nights. It looks something like @majorcatfish 's garden in there ;). And. Right now, another blanket of snow is falling on the greenhouse so the lemon verbena, rosemary and bok choy better gain all the light they can, inside.

:) Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It looks like this model:
https://jet.com/product/detail/386e...2&code=PLA15&gclid=CMqFyciY49ECFZy4wAod09kEtQ
I'm jelly!! I think I'd like one a little bit smaller than that to go over my ~ 31/2' x 31/2' well/cistern so that I can put a heater and thermostat on it. It is over 200 ft. from my house faucet to my barn and I'd like to pull water closer in the water, withOUT putting water in my barn. (Too easy to flood the barn and that misses the point of keeping the floor dry.)
Somebody used to make one a little bit smaller than that. I LOVE the windows only one side! We sometimes get 50+ mph winds and I know that we could have some broken windows.
Guess I'll put it on my wish list.
I kept searching and THIS is about the size that I want:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5e/2b/bd/5e2bbdb53a1c47fbb0eac447c984d549.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRING-SALE-6-x-4-Potting-shed-/141638416472

Latest posts