SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I've always had a fascination with bromeliads. It's just one of those things. But I've never really tried growing one, I guess until now :). I planted seeds for a puya alpestris, aka the Sapphire Tower.

I put seeds into four different environments, two of which I pre-soaked the seeds for 24 hours. All of which were planted on Jan 10th

Group A
1 seed placed directly to soil. non soaked. placed in grow tent

Group B
6 planted in root cubes. Soaked for 24 hours first
  • 4 in 4” pots, 2 each
  • 2 into root cubes
Group C
10 seeds in cubes in seedling bay under 7" dome. non-soaked

Group D
1 planted directly to soil. non-soaked.
placed in seedling bay & covered in ziploc

Jan 23rd
Group B & C sprouted
P1260553.jpg

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom grew some bromeliads when I was a kid. They were the more common type that you can find at garden centers. Your P. alpestris will have some really interesting blooms. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sprig, do you use a lot of those planting blocks? They seem to work pretty well for you. I've seen them before but never tried them. Also they are a lot cheaper then the jiffy7 pots I have tried in the past.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sprig, do you use a lot of those planting blocks? They seem to work pretty well for you. I've seen them before but never tried them. Also they are a lot cheaper then the jiffy7 pots I have tried in the past.

I had not used them prior to a few months ago, but have quickly become a true believer. They provide a perfect medium for seed starting (germination or post-germination) and allow you to get the most out of your space prior to choosing the few lucky ones that will go into your final setup(s)

@digitS' uses them as well, I believe.

Latest posts