Painted Mountain Corn

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Painted Mountain Corn . . . I just wanted to show you a picture of it growing in my garden and share the story about it on the 'net (click):

DSC00099.JPG

It's the 2nd time I've grown it. Did real well, before! This is a flour corn and not a sweet corn. You can see a Buttercup squash plant just a few feet away in the upper corner (south side). I will plant pole bean seed today along this south row and the west end of this, my "little 3 sisters" corner of the big veggie garden :).

Collector can have a laugh about my corn ;). He may be having the same trouble seeing how it can ever make it to "knee high by the 4th of July!" Yeah, my sweet corn looks the same :rolleyes:.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the Painted Mountain corn later in the season:
Painted%252520Mountain.JPG

The bush beans are there in the foreground. Some of the tallest plants were about 10' at maturity. The photograph was taken July 26th on what was a better growing year.

You can see some of the ears here:

HPIM0078.jpg

Oh, I've got pumpkins growing along the west side of the 3 sisters corner . . . so I guess it should be a 4 sisters with the corn/beans/squash/pumpkins :cool:. I hope it turns out okay.

digitS'

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful picture! The corn is very colorful. Digits..did your wife make that wreath? It is just gorgeous.

Every time I see one of your garden photos, I ask myself..can't he just scrape those rocks away to get to the dirt? :lol:

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary!

You must know what is under all those rocks . . . . boulders!

Yes, DW can do things like that wreath.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whenever I see pics of your "soil", I just shake my head!! It goes to show you that plants don't mind stones, as much as we do. Your gardens are always beautiful! I went picking strawberries at a friends- I swear her soil was so rocky, it looked like she was mulching under the berries with stones!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Focus on the corn -- the corn!

Send it warm thoughts and happy sunshine vibes! It's got a long way to go. And, grow . . .

I couldn't find my millet seed to plant Saturday and didn't want to pull apart one of the seed heads in the garage. No wheat this year but my naked oats are growing!

Now, keep your minds off those naked oats -- sunshine thoughts!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn looks fab- sunshine thoughts going out to you! I planted some of the millet you sent Steve, and I don't see any germination yet. Does it take along time?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify:

The picture of the tiny corn plants is from a couple of days ago.

The picture of the tall corn and the wreath & things is from a couple of years ago.

Lesa, the millet is a warm-season crop. Think of it as a tiny sweet corn cousin. It needs warmth but I've never had any trouble with it germinating. The millet will look like some kind of weed grass for the 1st few weeks.

digitS'

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some Painted corn this year too Steve, (thanks for the suggestion!) but mine is teeny tiny. I'm going to need a really long Indian Summer this year since I planted a lot of stuff late.

And, hey! I'm seeing blue sky and sunshine right now! :weee

Latest posts