Pandora's Box - opening up my bees - UPDATE on #19 (and pics!)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got to work on my bees yesterday. It didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. I ran into a mess of natural comb that ripped apart when I took off the inner cover. This was unfortunately part of the brood nest. :he

I posted a bunch of pictures of it on my blog and more detail. I know there's a lot of beeks on here and that several of you use top bar hives (which I am wanting to convert this lang to). Would you guys mind to take a look at my mess and my awkward, inexperienced handling of it and give me some idea where I should go next with this? :hu

Pretty depressing! I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew... :hit

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I realy wish I could have helped, but I did respond. I wish you luck!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no- so sorry! That pic really helped me understand how important it is to have all your frames, in the hive. I never could have imagined that would happen...We were excited to see our bees out in late February, when we had a nice day. Unfortunately, when I opened the hive last week, all the bees were dead. Not enough ventilation and they had too much moisture. I felt just awful! But, I have ordered more bees for next month, and I am determined to keep trying. The hive was full of honey- so at least we got a little prize...Good luck- keep trying- we'll all get this figured out!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa - sorry to hear your bees didn't make it! I kept a nervous ear on mine all winter. This was one of the hardest winters our area had in the past 15-20 years (a real winter) so I really didn't think they'd make it, since nothing much was done to them to get ready. If I had opened this hive in the fall, I probably could have fixed this before there was brood. I got them so late though (mid-October) and since the temps were already so low, my dad advised me not to open them.

If these bees survive my novice, it will be a miracle. But I'm with you, just gonna keep on trying! :bee

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Journey11....sorry to hear what happened. I don't know anything about bees but since some of them are still covered and you didn't see the queen bee, I'm hoping that there is still a good chance that some of them will make it.

I checked out your blog and have printed the recipe for the butternut squash. It sounds delicious and simple. My type of cooking!

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This is a sad story: I received an email about someone who fumigated the "Buzzing" coming from under their grill's cover. Turns out an entire healthy bee hive was thriving there. I'm not judging, but it's too bad that they didn't call a beekeeper. I'm sure that he/she could have moved the entire hive to another location. :(
(I didn't include the captions. I'm glad no one was hurt.)
Beeinsecticidecanisteranddeliverysy.jpg

Afterthekill1.jpg

Afterthekill2.jpg

Afterthekill3.jpg

Hivesideview.jpg

Hivesideview2.jpg

Hivefromunderneath.jpg

I know that our honeybee populations are low right now...too bad. :hugs for you journey11.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks- that is a sad story...There are quite a few beeks around here who are always looking for bees. They will remove them from houses, etc. What a bummer...poor bees. That looked like a really healthy colony. I would have just bought another grill and let them have that one!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh man, how easy would those have been to get too?! Not like they were in an attic or way up in a tree... :/

Latest posts