Papa's Happy BEE day

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today DH took both Grandson's out to check the bees. Set up a new hive from a captured swarm, studied eggs and larva, caught the queen and marked her.
DSC04722.JPG
DSC04727.JPG
DSC04729.JPG
DSC04732.JPG
DSC04735.JPG
DSC04737.JPG
DSC04741.JPG
DSC04743.JPG
DSC04744.JPG
DSC04748.JPG

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
not sure what that last picture was happening there, but they looked like they were having fun. :) happy BEE day! :)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
the last picture ~ disrobing, letting the bees on their clothing sober up ~ the get a little out of it when you use a smoker ~ that's what it looks like to me ~ have to ask the boy ~ but I don't see a smoker in the pictures ~ I never had to smoke or ware protective ~ your bees get to know you and like you ```

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
the last picture ~ disrobing, letting the bees on their clothing sober up ~ the get a little out of it when you use a smoker ~ that's what it looks like to me ~ have to ask the boy ~ but I don't see a smoker in the pictures ~ I never had to smoke or ware protective ~ your bees get to know you and like you ```
They did not use a smoker and seldom do. The bee gear was because these last few weeks the bees have been testy. DH got stung more than 2 dozen times one night! And the oldest is still a bit leery of the bees. But today they where so docile. Sis and I walked right in and took pics with no concern and no stings. :) A good day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i would not ever be brave enough to approach a hive without cover, i just know better that i would do something klutzy that would get them mad. trip and drop something in their hive, etc. i know it... i sure would not like being stung that much in one night! even with the many bees here of all sorts of different kinds i rarely get stung.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's good to see your grandsons learning from their grandpa. Those are special times.
Looks like you have some healthy hives going now.
Didn't your bees get hit hard last year? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Latest posts