Parking strip!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see some call it the "hell" strip. The neighbor might have thought I was an idiot for once calling it the "boulevard" since it's only about 3' wide.

But Hey! Look what I found in thefreedictionary.com:

"Regional Note: To the majority of Americans, the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the street is called simply 'the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the street.' However, in some parts of the country, it has acquired specific names. In the Midwest and West, it is often called the parking or parkway, and in Washington State it is the parking strip, according to the survey conducted by the Dictionary of American Regional English. In the Upper Midwest, it is also known as the boulevard or boulevard strip; around the Great Lakes and in the Midwest, it is sometimes a terrace; around the Great Lakes and in especially northeastern Ohio, it is also called a tree lawn. In Massachusetts it is a tree belt; in the Atlantic states, sometimes a grassplot; and in Louisiana and Mississippi, neutral ground. Some of these words are also used for the grassy strip in the middle of a street or highway."

So, what do you call it and more importantly for me personally - - what can I do with it?? The weeds & grass really need to be completely removed and replaced. It is difficult to keep it watered. I bet these are problems for lots of folks (hell strip ;)).

There is a need for on-street parking so people must walk across it. More importantly, I'm only about 150 yards from an elementary school - the kids walk on this ground all the time. Bushes won't work.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We call it a median. If it separates something in any way like a street or road, or walkway.... that's what we call it in NC.

Edited for miss spelling!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dunno, where I grew up ('burbs north of Philly) it was just 'the grass between the sidewalk and the street" :p

What you can do with it may depend a lot on municipal regulations; I gather that in a lot of places there are regulations (either written, or unwritten but strong and enforced by means of flimsy reliance on other parts of municipal code) as to what you can do with that strip. If it contains a runoff ditch you're unlikely to be allowed to impede the flow of water, and there may be regulations about Weeds (so called) or about Obstructions For Pedestrians or Impeding the Line of Sight.

So I'd check first.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We call it the boulevard.
As in the city code, "It is the homeowners responsibility to maintain the boulevard."

Around here the city plants trees in the boulevards and it's the homeowners responsibility to mow the grass, but the city can come and cut your tree down whenever they want.

I have hostas planted around my boulevard tree.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just call it the sidewalk grass and keep it mowed but I noticed that some people the next street over ripped up the grass and put down some type of gravel in its place.
I leave the grass, its low maintenance and stones seem like they would be a pain when you shovel the snow, we live near a school as well and we clear the sidewalks well before the town worker comes riding by in the sidewalk plow.
The town put some pear trees on the grassy strips a few years ago, just placed in random spots up and down the street but other than that they don't maintain the strips.
I have never looked into the regulations regarding what you can do with those strips.
Steve, what about a low growing groundcover? It can't get out of control because the cement will contain it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is such a mess, mostly because it is compacted and difficult to water.

Right now it is a mix of grass and weeds. I'd say no better than 50/50.

About the nicest thing I see around is gravel with a few patio blocks and some low-growing juniper about every 5 feet. I don't think it matters to the road department what is there but I wouldn't be able to keep the kids from walking on the juniper . . . or anything else for that matter.

I've thought about achillea (yarrow). I know I can keep it mowed to a fairly nice carpet but I don't really know its water requirements. And, have never seen it used for such a purpose.

There's nothing but full sun and paving all around this strip.

I'm trying to think what would take all that heat, dryness, and abuse. I should also mention, sub-zero Winters and being covered with snow and ice for weeks or months on end. Hell . . .

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I've thought about achillea (yarrow). I know I can keep it mowed to a fairly nice carpet but I don't really know its water requirements.
plain white yarrow (A. millefolium) needs next to no water; however it needs good drainage and doesn't do compacted soil real well. You could try though. Its variously colored cultivars, and other yarrows, seem IME to be a bit less bone-hardy with respect to lack of water.

I'm trying to think what would take all that heat, dryness, and abuse. I should also mention, sub-zero Winters and being covered with snow and ice for weeks or months on end. Hell . . .
Enh, try a bunch of things, just a coupla plants or small patch of seeds of each, see what comes through :p

If it is not considered a noxious weed where you are, I'd highly recommend birdsfoot trefoil Lotus corniculata, a yellow-flowering sort of mound-forming vetch. It has a reasonable sense of humor about compacted soil and is one of the most drought-tolerant things I know. You will never get rid of it, mind, as its roots go to China (and is frowned on as an agricultural weed in some places -- although also *planted* as a forage crop in other places, go figure), but it is a very useful little plant. On its own it forms a foot+ high mound or 'drift' of dense green small-leaved foliage with quite a lot of little yellow flowers for most of the summer. You can mow it and it'll come right back.

Yellow clover and white clover would also be worth auditioning. Lots of other possibilities too, this is just what comes first to mind.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here in central Indiana we also call it a 'median' and in my town they are planted full with shrubs(mostly flowering) and perennials.
Wish I had some pictures for you. Never have thought much about them because here the locals plant them FULL!! adopt-a-spots!
One such spot is full of daisies and cone flowers-and it is striking for many months.
I think, imo-plant low maintenance. lol