Pattypan squash?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was at a birhday party dinner last evening where some Pattypan squash were served in a mixture of other veggies. Least I think they were Pattypan...is there others that look similar?

I wondered about the growing conditions required for them. Anybody have some in their garden they can tell me about?

Thanks, Bill

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Patty Pan, also known as scallop squash, is grown just like other squashes. Love love love it. Roasted; zapped in mirco then toasted with parm on top; grilled whole; yummy.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They're my favorite squash of all the summer varieities.

Plant in the spring, at the same time as you would yellow squash or zucchini. They have the same growth habits, same soil and water needs, and same disease or pest issues as the other types. If you can grow the others, you can grow patty pan.

BTW, patty pan also come in more than the standard whitish/light green shade. There's golden, dark green, yellow with green blossom end, and this year I found a variegated dark green that had spots!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Easy to grow, tasty, great flavor. This is my second year growing them. I grew them in a half whiskey barrel this time.

You just have to remember to pick them small for the best flavor. I let a couple grow WAY too big, but I am using those for seeds for next year.

kimnkell

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We grew pattypan this year and we really liked it. It can be used so many different ways. I fried them like green tomatoes and was so tasty. We loved them that way. Also, I peeled them chopped them up and canned them in pineapple juice to have mock pineapple to use this winter. I made some with zucchini and pattypan also. Can't wait to try them.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Canned with pineapple juice mmmm. that's a new idea!

Send me a sample..:D

I have never seen seeds for them for sale around here, so I thought perhaps they were a hot climate squash..I'll have to see if I can order some and give them a shot next year. Because of their small size, I bet they would be easy to grown on a trellis. That would be neat.:)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Well the plant is more like a zucchini. More bushy than climby.
Really, well that's ok. Less room taken up in the garden if their not a vine type.:)

Latest posts