peach tree lost all its leaves

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all,

Question that I haven't been able to answer with google. We have two peach trees that a friend gave us 4 or 5 years ago that were started from a pit by him. They have done ok, got leaf curl last year, I sprayed it during the winter on a warm day. They both seemed to be doing ok. I did prune them both early in the spring and they were looking good. However, in the last few weeks, the one tree has lost essentially all of its leaves. They turn yellow-brown, dry up and fall off. The other tree still looks ok. Any ideas for the problem?

Thank you for your help!
Jo Ann

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've had something similar happen to our peach trees. So far the leaves have grown back, but only at the tips. So we have a long stick with leaves on the end. We don't know what is causing it either, but the trees seem to do ok. Our trees are much older though, than yours. We have trouble with peach leaf curl every year. I plan on pruning the skinny long twigs back this winter and see what happens.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It may be that they just need a lot of water. My Northern Gold was having the same problem, till I really poured the water to it. We haven't had rain for a month mind you.

I don't know what zone your in, but if your in a colder climate, peach trees do far better under some cover. Seems odd I know, a tree under cover, but they are not easy to grow in some areas.

It seems they need a special climate to really do well, although there are a few hybrids now available, that are better for the northern areas.

Peach leaf curl is a persistant problem. I sprayed mine, in early spring and it still has it..sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. Maybe I should plant grapes in it's place.least then I could make some wine..:lol:

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. We're in zone 5b/6 depending on what site you read, in a bit of a valley so probably more 6. Yes, I've read the comments about how hard peach trees can be for the home gardener. Unfortunately, a friend gave me bags of peaches off her trees last summer and sold me on the idea of having my own. :D It's more the fact that one looks fabulous and one looks dead that has me so puzzled. We've had quite a bit of rain this year. I wondered if it was due to my hatchet pruning job, but the other looks great. I'm so puzzled.