Peach Tree question

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a peach tree that was loaded with peaches this year. This is the first year we have really had peaches on it. The tree is probably 3 or 4 years old. The peaches are about the size of walnuts maybe a little bigger. They were looking really good. When I checked them today some of the peaches are falling off. Can someone tell me why? They don't look diaseased or anything. Is there something I can do to stop this if more fall off?
Thanks

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sometimes fruit just does fall off, so some of this is normal. The fact that's it's loaded with fruit might be the reason it's dropping. Also, sometimes high heat may cause fruit to drop or a combination of other stresses.

Are there a lot of fruits falling off? If not, I'd say it's okay. Especially if there is not a sign of pest or disease. Just make sure you are watering deeply and adequately.

Good luck!

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Coopy. My peach tree did the same thing for the past two years. It blooms, the fruits start growing then all of them fall off. The tree is 5 years old. I don't know what to do. Could it be the soil? There's a peach tree at the neighbors and theirs is usually loaded with peaches until harvesting time. It also keeps happening to my blood orange tree as well.

BackSwampGirl

Sprout
Reaction score
:)Well I can help you with this one.First of all Iknow you don`t want to do this.Because the first time i was told this I said no I don`t want to do that it will be wasting them.But it worked,and had the biggest and most peaches you could imagine for.If you will take right many of the peaches off of the tree,then it will give more room for the peaches to grow.It really works.Make sure you put lime all the way around the tree at the base and go out to where the limbs go and put a good amount.Spray the trees with Malition mixed with water.It tells on there how much you will need. Sandra,NC

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If anyone plans to use malathion on their fruit tree, please check to see if it's safe for surrounding plants. For example, you don't want it on hibiscus plants.

Also, consider your vegetables, and drift.

I hope everyone's peaches work out. I know that you should thin some types a time or 2, as the fruit is produced. :)

Latest posts