Peach Tree

HabaneroHeaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I decided that I want to start growing a peach tree. Can I just save a pit like I would with an avocado or is not that simple? I have heard it takes about five years before it will even produce sizable fruit.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My inlaws had two of the small white peach trees. they where started from pits. We now have 2 little peach trees started from those peaches. I do not know if you can start from grocery store peach pits. It may depend on variety and zone. If you have a locally grown peach, I would give it a try. Good Luck.

HabaneroHeaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks, very helpful! I actually work at an orchard haha so it's very easy to get great, fresh peaches! I just ate a couple delicious white peaches and saved the pits. I'll see what I can do, thanks for the help and wish me luck!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I know it takes a whole lot longer for trees grown from seed to produce fruit (up to 10 years) and a lot of fruits don't breed true, that's why most fruit trees are grafted. But it would be a fun project. Good luck. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a bunch of peach pits too! I think I'll plant them this fall. We'll see what happens...........the year is 2055........my great grand daughter is eating the first peach.............. :lol:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are interested in some good trees i would suggest looking at Stark Bros. website. i got some apples and a pear tree from them and they have some really decent deals during the spring for trees and they will professionally prune them before sending them.

you can grow peaches from seed but make sure if you want a hardy and strong type to grow the ones that produce their fruit in August. i can't remember where i read about that. it could be something i read while looking into growing and selecting rootstock for peaches.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Though it may be fun to start a peach from seed, buying a quality variety would be much better use of time.
I agree with that statement, but somebody's gotta plant the seeds. :lol:

Latest posts