Peaches - can or freeze?

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm torn on what to do with the peaches I have. I bough 1/2 bushel (wish I had bought more) we keep eating them because they are the sweetest I have EVER eaten, so I'm not sure I'll have enough to can. But wanting opinions anyway...

DO YOU CAN OR FREEZE THEM? pros and cons of each please!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you particularly *like* the taste and texture of canned peaches (which is distinct) then of course can them.

In general though I agree with wifezilla, the taste is much better when frozen and although the texture is different than canned it is no more nor less 'natural' and to me the flavor difference is a big point in favor of freezing.

Of course other options include making peach butter, peach jam, or peach leather ;)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Definitely freeze for better flavor. I freeze mine diced in serving size. I can just grab them out to thaw to mix with my yogurt or ice cream.

My dad teases me silly about my peach and ice cream habit. I keep telling him it's dairy and fruit, can't go wrong with that. LOL!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My FIL before he passed, brought me up 8 gallons of peaches from his trees. That's been over 2 years ago and we're still eating on them and they're still delicious. I used a little of that sprinkle stuff that prevents browning (forget what it's called, but you'll find it in the canning aisle.) I carefully pressed ALL the air out of the bags. No freezer burn, they taste great. DD and I eat them in our oatmeal all the time. :)

Now on the other hand, my MIL said I must try them canned. She thinks they're better that way. I think you have to add sugar. Freezing you don't Although it is a little harder to get them out of the bag frozen when you only want a few. They are so juicy you end up with a big peach popsicle!

ETA: Either way, you might do some both ways, then see how you like them yourself. :D

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I also vote frozen, unless you're short on freezer space.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get short on freezer space because I like my beans, peas and corn frozen. So since I bake with peaches only... I can. JMO

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a win-win situation, no matter which way you decide.
Freezing would be quicker but shelf space is, usually, more available than freezer space.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For me, the sugar issue is a big deal. Peaches are pretty carby by themselves. If sugar is added I just can't eat them unless I want to spend the next 2 days bloated while hoping my sky rocketed blood pressure doesn't give me a stroke.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Since it's only a small amount and not a bumper crop, I say freeze them. Otherwise, with the possible umcoming possible economic fall, I plan to can from my tree this year.
Every time I've canned from my peach tree, the taste was terrific, but the volume of fruit tends to "settle", kind of like boxed cereal does, so you see about 2/3 jar full of sliced fruit floating in sugar water, whereas, when I put them in the jars they were crammed full. Just FYI. :D

Latest posts