Pear tree problem.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I noticed in the last week or so some very distinct black spotting of the leaves, on my pear tree. The pears are still growing, and they don't look to bad, although a couple of them have small black spots. I don't think it is fire-blight, at least from pictures I could find on the web. I don't know if it is scab, or blackspot, or what it might be. we have had some really hot dry weather recently, whether that may play a factor, or not... Can anybody recognise this from the pictures?
100_0529.jpg

100_0527.jpg

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sorry Bills, wish I could help you out. However, I don't know what the problem might be either. I just walked out and looked at my pear tree and it's looking pretty good this year. Lots of pears on it. Of course it would probably be happier if I trimmed the apple tree back out of it this fall!

It usually has little worm holes in them or I guess it's catipillars. Do you know what your suppose to do for that? All I know is your suppose to spray it. But I don't know with what or when. Do you spray yours?

Sorry I couldn't help you. Doesn't look like anyone else has any idea either.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't see any sign of bugs Tutter. It may be the picture, as it's slightly out of focus. Hard to take close ups with my cheap little camera.:rolleyes:

Lots of black spots on the leaves, and a very few on the pears. The high taller branches seem to be the worse infected. Sunburn maybe?:/

I keep wondering about the fact we have had no rain for four weeks now. I have let the hose run under the fruit trees a few times, but as I am on a well, I can't really give them the soak I would like to. I would have thought that if water was the issue, the trees would just wilt...:/

I suppose part of the problem may be because I never sprayed the trees last fall, or early spring, because of the wierd weather we were getting. It seemed like we had rain, or frost, (and even snow in April), that prevented me from spraying. I may be paying the price now...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no real idea, but will toss out as random possibilities: anthracnose? or black mildew growing on 'sugar spots' dripped from aphids?

Pat

Latest posts