Pears that are sweet, juicy but too hard

Mom2Cool

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all hubby & I want to harvest pears from a couple of trees we've got outside. They're just delish & juicy too but they're to hard when you bite into them. Is there a way I can ripen them up a bit w/out them all just going bad? I mean will they soften if I pick them first? We're in upstate NY & so it's getting to a cold time & they'd have to be harvested soon before the cold I imagine. Thanks to all in advance.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really couldn't tell you for sure one way or the other but I have read you are supposed to pick them just before they are ripe and let them continue ripening off the tree....maybe that would help with the hardness. :hu

Mom2Cool

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok I'm reading about picking them & putting them in a paper bag for a wk. I'll try it it's an experiemnt really but I have to try something.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i dont know if it helps any, but the ones i get at the grocery store are not soft at all, a couple days on the counter and they change color and texture, soften up great and taste perfect too .. maybe you have to many to sit on the counter ..

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is this your first year picking from these trees, in which case it is possible they are simply not a variety you're familiar with, especially if your idea of 'pear' is Bartlett :) Many pear varieties do not get particularly soft.

OTOH it is worth trying ripening them further indoors, especially if you have had soft pears from these particular trees in the past

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Mom2Cool

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Pat & thanks for the insight. This is not our first year with these trees though the trees sort of came w/the property. they are a dwarf or maybe a semi dwarf tree that is still under 10 yrs old. I did find that web site & I do plan on going back because I thought they had a link to identify which variety etc. And you're right we've not ever had a ripened pear from the tree but then I've not really stopped to figure it out either. I'm hoping the bag trick works they truly are delish other wise.