Pears!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, missed it. I almost take back all the evil thoughts about the advantages you southerners have. :)

Have to try with apples, then pears. Have grapes coming on as well

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule, I have plans to make some of your yummy pear leather. I realize that your pears waited a few days until you had time to work with them, but when is the right time to process pears.

My pears are ready to be picked . . . you give the pear a 1/4 turn and if ready, the stem comes off the tree. . . but they are still rather hard. Do I process them right away or wait for ____ number of days, giving them time to ripen after being picked?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought pears had to ripen off of tree?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, what variety or type of pears? Makes a difference.

I took the quote from the link below. I know there is a difference but no way do I remember the details without cheating and looking it up.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/413

Once commercial pears are picked, growers cool them down to about 30 degrees F. They don't freeze at this temperature, because the fruit sugar acts like an antifreeze.

"The colder the pears are, the longer they'll stay in good condition," said Sugar. "In fact, they actually need to be cooled in order to ripen properly."

Bartlett pears need to be cooled only for a day or two, and winter pears such as Anjou, Bosc and Comice require 2 to 6 weeks for optimal effect, he said.

"Without this chilling process, a mature picked pear will just sit and sit and eventually decompose without ever ripening," explained Sugar.

The pears sold in the grocery store or delivered by companies such as Harry and David are mature and have already received their postharvest chilling. They are ready to ripen, according to Sugar.

"Pear ripening must be closely watched," he warned. "There is a relatively narrow window between 'too hard' and 'too soft' where the perfect pear texture lies."

Sugar recommends ripening pears at 65 to 75 degrees F for the following times: Bartlett, 4 to 5 days, Bosc and Comice, 5 to 7 days; and Anjou, 7 to 10 days. The longer the time the pears have spent in cold storage, the shorter the time to ripen them, he said.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, that is very interesting... I have often read that pears need to ripen off the tree- but never have I heard the cooling part. Hoping to harvest some pears from a friends tree, I will have to try that method!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ive got Asian-type pears that will ripen on the tree but my Bartlett-style trees are not producing yet. Im really looking forward to that day and Ive been reading about it to be ready.

I plan to pick some up tomorrow at a local fruit store to make chutney and jam plus fresh eating. Id rather use my own but I do like pears. They normally have good fruit.

My wife got a couple of pears a week or so ago at the grocery store for fresh eating. Those were awful. The chicken got them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always canned pears while they are still green and hard. As long as they are close enough to ripe to be sweet and taste good when I peel one to eat fresh, I'm good to go! My personal experience as far as canning goes, if they are yellow and ripe, then they will be slightly mushy in the jar. If the pears are green and hard, then they are firmer in the jar. But being as beggars can't be choosers, I'll take both and deal with it. ;)

Good info Ridgerunner, I never knew that about chilling the pears. That "perfect window" of ripeness at my house means that something WILL go all WRONG on that "perfect ripeness" day and the chickens will get the semi-rotten pears. :lol: Better for me to can the green ones. :thumbsup

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean Bay. Some people talk about preserving things only at the peak of perfection. Thats a noble goal but the best time for me to do something is often when I can.

A couple of years ago we got a box of pears but stuff happened. I wound up making jam with the over-ripe parts I salvaged. I had other plans.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Bartlett, a red Bartlett, an Asian, and an Anjou. The Anjou is most ready for harvest according to my twist test although the Bartletts are not far behind. I hope they last until Saturday. . .

Not going with the cold. That seems more of a shipping/storage process. MIL just canned from the tree so I'm going with that, I guess.

Thanks for all the info!