Peas

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hooray for peas!!!

I have no peas or flowers yet even... but I have been eating a few pea shoots in my salads.... yum. :p

Green, I don't have anywhere NEAR what you are growing though... That is a LOT of peas!!!!!!!

SaltyMomma

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Darn! I forgot all about peas when planning my garden. :he Hmmm... going to have to rethink some things and try to work in some peas... YUM! (thanks for the reminder :) )

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, i think i planted a little too much peas :lol: ,but i do love peas, especially snow peas sauteed with onion and proscuitto really good the snow peas just melt in your mouth... :drool.
You know you can never have too many peas. I planted about 200 or so Snow Pea seeds and about 225 Miragreen shelling peas. I sowed the peas two seeds per inch with two rows spaced about 6 inches apart. I figured it would be better to do double rows to save some space, then i'll put the trellis supports between the two rows. I think this year i'll use deer mesh netting for the trellis.

SaltyMomma,
You can still plant peas, its not too late :)
Choose pea varieties that will take the heat a littler better if your area will get hot weather in a month or so. You should be able to work some peas in the garden.
Good Luck! ;)

SaltyMomma

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
:welcome, SaltyMomma! Beautiful raised beds--mine look really sloppy, by comparison. :(
Thanks! My husband made them for me and they were actually pretty easy to put together.... 9 landscaping timbers (3 cut in half), 20 five inch nails (the kind that twist as they go in), and A LOT of hammering. :lol: We got a great deal on the timbers so each bed cost about $18 to build.

Greenthumb18 said:
You can still plant peas, its not too late :)
Choose pea varieties that will take the heat a littler better if your area will get hot weather in a month or so.
I picked up these seeds today...
peaseeds.jpg

No clue if they are good in hot weather. I got them because my favorite peas are the sweet tender ones and because the packet says the grow to 24" and need no support.
Speaking of hot weather... I don't think I'll need to wait a month for it to arrive... it already feels like it's here!:coolsun But, that's probably because I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and haven't gotten used to this southern weather. Truthfully, I don't know if I ever will. :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is anyone's peas flowering, or even making edible peas yet!??!

I haven't seen a blossom yet, and I'm getting impatient waiting!!!! :D

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The first blooms on mine opened today! Yayyyyy! I planted them a bit early to try and beat the slugs and snails out of an easy meal. Mine started sprouting the 12th of March.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bid said:
The first blooms on mine opened today! Yayyyyy! I planted them a bit early to try and beat the slugs and snails out of an easy meal. Mine started sprouting the 12th of March.
Ok good, I planted around then.

I just didn't write down when I planted, when they flowered and when I picked last year. Which I should have!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:ya:weee :woot I have the first green in my garden! The peas are popping up!! :ya

Why am I even excited? I hate peas, they are for Dh and DD.... It must just be that green. :lol: I planted 160 ft.... think that will do it???? :ep