Peas

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I should be but I am waiting on my farmers to disk the garden. Still. They had tractor issues and now it is too wet (again). I am not complaining though! We have a lot of moisture in the ground, it is so nice!

terrielacy

Leafing Out
Administrator
Reaction score
A day late, but I put my peas in the starter plugs. Most sprouted in 3 days so I am not wasting space with dead-o seeds.

Now if it would stay above freezing at night.....

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are expecting snow tomorrow, so I'll plant my snow peas in a few days when it warms up again. I have to fence off my whole cool season row... bunnies! Bunnies are ruining my garden! If I ever catch peter you'd better believe I'll hang his coat and shoes right in the big fat middle of the row!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LOL@Terri

I'm sorry to hear about most snow and storms a coming for many!

I managed to get quite a bit done this week, as it was 75 today. (I was sick as sick can be AGAIN, but somehow managed to do yard work.)

I just want to say, I noticed my peas today... and they were a gorgeous happy lot of pea plants. 18 plants and all sprouted on their own and are now 2" tall! I have covers ready in case of emergency. :D

I did snow peas and shelling peas this year.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Okay, sorry to slander my peas (on another thread here)--this morning one is up 1/2 an inch, and another is peeking through. Guess I'll plant some more 'cause I don't think that 6 sugarsnap peas are enough. :drool ...no....definitely not...
Anybody here hear of this?:
"Prepare the pea for planting. Nick or create a small slit in the shell with a pair of nail clippers, razor blade or other cutting object. Place the shell in warm (not hot) water for 24 hours."(didn't save the link--it's from ehow.com)
I didn't do either. It took 10 days for these 2 to sprout, which is what I'd read it would take.
So..you PEA EXPERTS, watcha think? :pop

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you, it doesn't hurt to try! do you have some left over peeds (pea seeds LOL) you can try on like 2 or 3 and see what happens! maybe i'll give it a try today.... humm

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, it couldn't hurt to try. Though I do soak my corn seeds over night before planting. Makes a HUGE difference!!!! :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it wouldn't hurt to nick the peas, what your doing is opening up the seedcoat which would allow moisture access to the peas, that will allow it to germinate faster.

Look at this link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2266/

Its for pepper seeds, but i'm sure it could be done for peas. They reccommend adding one to two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to one cup warm water when soaking seeds. The hydrogen peroxide helps to break down the seed coat and disinfect the seed.

Latest posts