Peas

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Maybe if you tried the peroxide on the peas it might deter the wretched mice as well......??? I might try that. My grandfather used to dip his peas in camphorated (sp?) oil to deter them & he produced the earliest & sweetest peas in the village, in time for Easter Sunday lunch (for those who had the money to pay for them.... ;) ). His family never got any for weeks afterwards. He grew them on an improvised hot bed on his allotment. He was an ostler so had access to huge amounts of 'hot' horse poo which he buried in a deep pit (outside) then layed a very thick layer of good earth on top, into which he planted his treated peas. I can remember him covering them with old lace curtains pegged to sticks to protect them at night. What he earned from his peas paid for his pipe tobacco for the following year .... my grandmother took a dim view of this........! :lol:

I always soak my peas in warm water for a couple of days before planting outside. Our planting is about 3 weeks behind this year due to the long awful winter. The spring planting always works well, last year was spectacular -- the best I've ever had!! :celebrate

:rose Hattie :rose

terrielacy

Leafing Out
Administrator
Reaction score
My 250 pea plants are 6 inches tall. A cold front bringing snow and hail has prevented planting.

Who would have thought a packet of seeds had so many. :th

I have Tupperware containers of pea plants EVERYWHERE!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
terrielacy said:
My 250 pea plants are 6 inches tall. A cold front bringing snow and hail has prevented planting.

Yes, I know but you need a lot of plants to get a lot of peas......!! :drool

For me you can never have enough -- so few of mine ever see the inside of my kitchen, only my stomach as I eat them straight from the plant. It's the child in me (at 70yrs old....:D); I can't resist them.........:love

Don't forget to plant a second crop later if your climate allows that.......:ya

They say raw food is best for you -- let the child within you OUT, say I...!! :old

:tools Hattie :tools

terrielacy

Leafing Out
Administrator
Reaction score
I told my husband I was just going to string fishing line to the tops of the windows and grow them in the house.

He gave me a dirty look. :lol:

I love peas, too! I want to dry some and can or freeze some, so they won't go to waste at all.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
terrielacy said:

Yes, I know but you need a lot of plants to get a lot of peas......!! :drool

For me you can never have enough -- so few of mine ever see the inside of my kitchen, only my stomach as I eat them straight from the plant. It's the child in me (at 70yrs old....:D); I can't resist them.........:love

Don't forget to plant a second crop later if your climate allows that.......:ya

They say raw food is best for you -- let the child within you OUT, say I...!! :old

:tools Hattie :tools
Here,here!!!:thumbsup

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Aaaaah finally got my ground done today! Now, the peas and the potatoes will be the first things going in the ground. Hopefully early next week.

I never soak mine. I noticed that mine are treated (I wasn't thrilled, but oh well. ) Do you want to soak treated ones or just stick them in? They never rot here, the dirt gets warm quickly.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine that went in a couple weeks ago are starting to push earth now and pop up in the raised bed :D I'm going to have to cover them if the weather gets nasty, but with all this LOVELY weather we've been having trees everywhere are starting to open up leaves. Unfortunately it is concerning for me as I don't want my Apple trees to die, the 3 young ones are starting to push leaves now.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
HOORAY!! I've got 4 sugarsnap peas that I started inside ,into their bed on the west side of my garage. It's shady until noon there, then it gets full sun the rest of the day. I'll keep you updated as to how well the "tolerates some shade" peas go this season.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:) I finally got my peas in about a week ago. This year i decided to get Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Pea and Miragreen for Shell Peas which is a new variety i believe. I decided to wait a few days to plant since there were a few days where a few inches of rain fell and i didnt want to risk planting in soggy soil.
They both came with a red to pinkish coating around each pea seed since these are treated seed, something i haven't tried last year. I had a lot of peas last year that rotten because of the wet conditions, i think with treated seed they'll be more peas that will germinate. Treated seed is suppose to offer better germination, resistance to soil-borne diseases and fungus, protect against less than ideal growing conditions and you could plant earlier without worrying about your seed if the weather turns to the worse (wet and cold early spring).
No peas sprouting yet, but i'm sure they'll be coming up real soon.

Here are some pictures of all the peas i planted:

Latest posts