Pee-can trees

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Down here we call them pee-cans, up north y'all (wrongly) call them pee-cauns..... But regardless of what you call them, I need some advice.
I picked up 2 a couple of weeks ago. I had no intention of getting them .... but adding 2 more got me the 'buy 5 & get 1/2off' deal.. Sooo
I NEED to get them planted ASAP... like TODAY. We had a bunch of rain last night & most of the morning so that will make digging those big holes a little better.

Any advice about location??
How about protecting them from deer??
Problems to watch out for??
My grandmother would bury a zinc coated coffee can under her pecans. Later I learned it was because of the zinc necessary for the needs of the pecan tree. Amending with the proper micronutrients will have a large impact on the crop.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
try black walnuts sometime... i picked some off the ground once, brought them home, tried various ways to get them done. ended up using a hammer and a nut pick. still took way too long for what i ended up with. now i am happy to buy them done for me. not many things like that, but this is one of them.

Folks had a couple Black walnut trees at the home ranch ~ we opened them with a Ballpen hammer and a Steel ring as an anvil , how ever you spell it~ wonderful they are ```

Latest posts