pepper plants

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of my pepper plants are very small and have not grown from the cold weather, but the weather is warming now. I had one that looked like the neighbor dog stepped on and I thought it was dead, but now I see a new leaf. It was just broke off at ground level. Are plants like this going to produce or should I dig them up and put something else there?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would give them a little more time. Mine are struggling to get going too. This morning's low of 38 isn't going to spur them along either, but it's going into the low 70's by afternoon. Eventually summer will come to stay awhile.

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Peppers growing slow here as well Gardening, but think this SW Missouri up and down cool weather is the culprit. Sure hope nothing steps on mine. ;)

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started pepper seeds (obtained this spring) on my back porch (SE Facing, covered, light until 1:pm) 60+ days ago. Only 15% have sprouted, within the last 3 weeks. Only 2 of those are starting true leaves. It has been above 65* AT NIGHT the whole time, and reached 89* yesterday. It's bright, hot, and humid. Summer is here.

Is 5-6 hours of sun insufficient, despite the ridiculous heat?

Started in coco coir, kept damp, occasional very dilute fish emulsion to feed the rest of the tray (squash, melons, and other things which are performing poorly).

Tomatoes planted at the same time are only now barely getting teeny true leaves. Herbs are 100% no-show. Marketmore cukes up (barely), White Wonder cukes nil.

Last year was fantastic. I started EVERYTHING from seed and it all performed reasonably well (except for the squash, which the vine borers attacked early). This year... late late late and sloooooooowwwwwwwww.....

I originally started everything on January 1. Then it all died due to construction in Late February (tomatoes were up, and a couple peppers... nothing else in marked containers survived the Great Crash of the Windstorm). I assumed that everything would be speedier coming up later, due to the warmer weather in April.... Sigh. :rolleyes:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
joz said:
I started pepper seeds (obtained this spring) on my back porch (SE Facing, covered, light until 1:pm) 60+ days ago. Only 15% have sprouted, within the last 3 weeks. Only 2 of those are starting true leaves. It has been above 65* AT NIGHT the whole time, and reached 89* yesterday. It's bright, hot, and humid. Summer is here.

Is 5-6 hours of sun insufficient, despite the ridiculous heat?

Started in coco coir, kept damp, occasional very dilute fish emulsion to feed the rest of the tray (squash, melons, and other things which are performing poorly).

Tomatoes planted at the same time are only now barely getting teeny true leaves. Herbs are 100% no-show. Marketmore cukes up (barely), White Wonder cukes nil.

Last year was fantastic. I started EVERYTHING from seed and it all performed reasonably well (except for the squash, which the vine borers attacked early). This year... late late late and sloooooooowwwwwwwww.....

I originally started everything on January 1. Then it all died due to construction in Late February (tomatoes were up, and a couple peppers... nothing else in marked containers survived the Great Crash of the Windstorm). I assumed that everything would be speedier coming up later, due to the warmer weather in April.... Sigh. :rolleyes:
I am truly confused! You are zone 9 and I am zone 5B, so I picture you eating cucumbers and tomatoes by now. I don't know, but wanted to say that I grew some white cucumbers from seed and only a couple came up. I put some in the ground, but I am not sure how they are doing right now. I put them outside too early.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
meatburner said:
Peppers growing slow here as well Gardening, but think this SW Missouri up and down cool weather is the culprit. Sure hope nothing steps on mine. ;)
It is more like a cow. It weighs probably 110 pounds and not a good dog, so I am scared of it. Can't wait to get the fence finished. Good luck with your peppers.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i didn't even bother starting my cukes this year. i just bought some yesterday and just about everywhere i've seen for sale they look like they had just been started. i did get some that looked really good and are about to flower. i'll just plant a few of my more unusual types directly in the ground so when the others need their time to recover the newer ones will be producing nicely by then. i'll have to let you all know if i have luck or not with my Boothby Blonde cukes.

i noticed my peppers and tomatoes did about the same thing here. everything was slowly coming up for me in the house under lights but i didn't have heat under them and i figured this could have caused the slow germination of certain types. i expected it with the hot peppers especially. then i went to put the trays outside to get them hardened off about mid May and we had that wacky weather all around the nation! :rolleyes: this past week i have noticed some considerable growth on some of the peppers i did get in the ground but looked shocked from their cold nights. so they will make a comeback if they get damaged. my chickens also decided the habanero plant leaves looked tasty and nibbled some off. :( but those are growing back too.

Latest posts