Peppers, Peppers, and more Peppers

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It was time to harvest the peppers. The raised bed in the hoop house, in a 3' by 20' bed I planted 2 rows of peppers. Ancho, Jalapeno, and Anaheim. I harvested 45 lbs. of peppers. If I can hold out and keep them from freezing I might get another 10 or 15 lbs.

003.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like a great harvest.

I'm new at growing peppers. Did you pick the jalapenos before they ripened or is that their color when ripe? The jalapenos I grew last year turned red.

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The Ancho peppers I roasted and cored then bagged in half pounds and froze. The jalapenos I sliced and pickled 7 qt and 7 pints. Today I will can the Anaheim diced. I am also making 3 types of salsa. Harvested over 100 lbs. of tomatoes and most were still green so green tomato salsa is next in line. The temp got down to 20 and last night 28 but the hoop house kept the tomatoes and peppers that are still on the plants from freezing. the temp is going back up to the 80s for another 10 days or so, so I might get some ripe tomatoes. I pick jalapenos when they are still green. I will check one to make sure the walls have become thick.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those Ancho would be great to eat over winter.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do the diced anaheim come out anything like the canned diced green chiles you can buy at the store? I've been looking for the right pepper and the right canning recipe for that, since we use so many.

I love that the peppers are one of the last things to be ripe this time of year, so they get my undivided attention now that the tomatoes are done. I'm going to be canning some candied jalapenos later this week. :)

Latest posts