peppers

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have loads of bell and sweet banana peppers. Any ideas how to preserve (besides freezing) or great recipes to eat them?

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We sliced and dehydrated 6 tray's of green peppers. They look like little green toothpicks when they're done, but they do keep their flavor very well this way.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
We sliced and dehydrated 6 tray's of green peppers. They look like little green toothpicks when they're done, but they do keep their flavor very well this way.
So, how do you use them later? I've got a lot of banana peppers that I've been selling but don't really have many ideas on how to use them, especially dried. Thanks :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If some of them are ripe as opposed to green, pickling is dead easy and gives you something to put on sandwiches and pizzas all winter :)

Pat

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I often make a brine using 1 part vinegar, 1 part sugar, and 1 part water. Put this in a sauce pan and heat until just ready to boil. Put your peppers in a jar (quart or gallon, depending how many you have) Put 1 Tbsp Alum per quart over peppers. Pour heated brine over peppers. Allow to cool and refrigerate for two weeks. Peppers are ready to eat. They will keep a long time in the fridge. These peppers are really good with crackers, cheese, and summersausage.

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
unclejoe said:
So, how do you use them later? I've got a lot of banana peppers that I've been selling but don't really have many ideas on how to use them, especially dried. Thanks :)
Honestly, I don't know yet. :hu This is a year of experimentation for us. I'm going to try it in some of my first batches of tomato sauce that I didn't think to season when I canned. Maybe crumble a little into salad. I also dried some cukes that we tried with dip like you would potato chips. Don't know if peppers would work the same way or not. I figure I'll come up with uses as time goes by. We broke it into 4 batches and vaccum packed them so they should last a long time. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.:/

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey--that's my method, too. Plant it and preserve it, then figure out how to use it :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
me&thegals said:
unclejoe said:
Honestly, I don't know yet. :hu This is a year of experimentation for us. I'm going to try it in some of my first batches of tomato sauce that I didn't think to season when I canned. Maybe crumble a little into salad. I also dried some cukes that we tried with dip like you would potato chips. Don't know if peppers would work the same way or not. I figure I'll come up with uses as time goes by. We broke it into 4 batches and vaccum packed them so they should last a long time. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.:/
Just a suggestion... but a local market sells these dehydrated by jar. They have a recipe on that jar for a chicken bake that include 1/2 cup of the pepper mixed in with chicken breast, rice, mushrooms and cream of celery soup. I would think they would be great in any soup as well. Maybe a mexican bake even?

I am the queen of cheap quick recipes....

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I have loads of bell and sweet banana peppers. Any ideas how to preserve (besides freezing) or great recipes to eat them?
Here's what i do with my bells. I then freeze 'em.
When we wanna eat 'em, i go dig up a couple o' yukon gold taters from the garden and make some mashed taters to go with 'em.

Picture014.jpg

As for the sweet nanars. I cut 'em into rings and or stuff 'em with sour kraut. Make a brine of 1 part cider vinegar to two parts water and half part sugar. Add two cloves of garlic, i teaspoon of mustard seed, one teaspoon of canning salt to each pint jar.Put yer peppers in and then pour the brine in. Hot bath fer 10 minutes for pints or 15 minutes for quarts.

Latest posts