Perennial Shade Plant Suggestions Needed

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I bought some bedding plants, some petunias, moss rose and some 3" high lettuce for the garage bed. I should be able to put up the trellises today with some help. In the meantime I put all of those previously mentioned plants temporarily into a plastic "windowbox" in the sun. Yesterday's storms helped to water them in. ALL of them were really potbound, ALL ROOTS! They can wait for a week if I need to in the pot. They were, however, 99 cents/4 pack.
More rain this weekend, so I want this bed DONE!
I'll be working at DD's place late this afternoon. We're eating dinner there, and I can put in a couple of hours before I eat.
I'll be taking pictures, too.
One more thing...
I REALLY, REALLY appreciate all of your input to my original question!! :hugs to you ALL!!!!!!!
Anybody who wants to send any plants, now is the time. ANY and ALL are GREATLY appreciated. :bow
The whole idea is to use every preferred plant as a cover crop to keep the weeds in the backyard from flourishing. I am NOT picky, but those suggestions just sound so pretty that I am sure this yard will be looking wonderful come August. I can wait to supplement, for instance, if somebody sends me a pink bleeding heart, I will probably buy a few white ones, two.
Please PM me for my address.
I will be starting a New thread this weekend to give a photo gallery of this project.
I hope that this will help others.
I know what it's like to tackle a project like this. It doesn't help to talk to a gardening center. THEY are happy for you to spend money, and I've heard of people dumping over $1,000.00 for a small space. Pouring money into such projects Does solve the problem, but IMHO it's a waste. Sometimes the plants don't make it. I bought 12 mums last Fall for this project on clearance, $1.00/each. I poured decayed stall leavings south of my garage and bedded and mulch them before the winter. 6 survived and will be moved to their yard (maybe I'll keep one of them.)
Full price for them would have been a waste. Fortunately, they have proved themselves to be survivors.
I have also paid full price for plants that didn't make it, too. I do understand that a local nursery is a great place to buy. I prefer to buy local, and many places guarantee their plants. HOWEVER, my DD's will pay for specialty plants locally at a nursery only for certain plants that they would have to buy through a catalog, and really, really, want to have in their backyard.
So, this project begins today in earnest. :weee

Latest posts