Permaculture Setup

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm wanting to make our whole yard into a permaculture garden. The whole low maintenance thing appeals to me, because I tend to get lazy. I know I need to start slow, not only to slowly add responsibility, but also because I don't have a lot of money to bring in loads of compost, wood chips, etc.... so I'd like to make my permaculture landscape from things I can find in our yard. I already have 4 compost bins going and two look like they'll be ready soon. The area I want to begin is the part in front of the house. I want it to be 100% useful, sustainable, and to add some curb appeal to the house. The first picture is of a layout I drew up in paint. The measurements aren't exact and I'll just go by feel as I'm doing the work, but this is pretty much how I think the paths would work.

The open space on the bottom is in front of the porch. I can't do anything there so far because we need to have some work done on it at some point. The green would be living mulch instead of just grass. The brown circles are trees and stumps as noted, and all other brown would be plantable area.

I would like to add as many fruit trees as I can, but I'm really worried about sunlight. I'm thinking the front end of this area would be the best for morning sunlight, even though the canopy of the olive trees would shade them out for the later part of the day. If I have a lot of fruit trees, I don't think I'll notice so much if one tree produces a little less, correct me if I'm wrong.

So what do you guys think? I'm having trouble finding out how to start with very minimal knowledge about permaculture. I'm just going to be learning through trial and error.

frontyard.png

This photo is to give an idea where the sunlight is. How many fruit trees do you think I could squeeze in?

100_1383.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
From what is visible it looks like you do not have enough sun for fruit trees. What is your zone?
I am from Massachusetts. We used to go around in the fall and collect bags of leaves to compost for the garden.We now get them delivered in the fall from a landscaper who would have to pay to dispose of them at the dump. You can probably get manure from local farms who need to get rid of it. If you're worried about neighbors and the smell you can collect in in trash cans and keep it in them until the smell subsides. Lime is a good smell inhibitor. Even if your don't have a truck, small amounts in trash bags adds up. My sister brings horse manure home in her car with double trash bags when she comes to visit me.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry about the pic being offset:rolleyes: The front of the property faces East, and it's sunny most of the day from about 6am and that pic was taken probably between 3 and 4 pm. Is that not enough sun. I guess I want you all to tell me what I want to hear:lol:... I love my fruit, and I want to grow all kinds.

Those are great ideas for getting materials. I'll have to ask around when fall comes around.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That should be enough sun, then. The trees that you have will use a lot of water and nutrients. I would try it no matter what if it makes you happy! Much of gardening is experimental for your own property.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amanda, are you reading the books on permaculture?

Some friends of mine are preparing to go to Hawaii to do a full Permaculture Internship there, living and working on site. Megan and Mike will be letting me know how it goes once they get started on it.

For them, as I understand it, they will be building an entire permaculture project, starting with the design and construction of the buildings, more or less simultaneous with the advanced landscaping of Permaculture.

There is a certain aspect of Feng Shui in the design. In its simplest concept, that means making the parts, including the human parts, be able to work together better. For example, a plain thing, designing it so hoses do not knock things down when being used. That's just an overly simple example.

Some permaculturists advocate a good sized sundial with notes made about sunrises and sets, marking where for the solstices and equinox, or even monthly.

Olive trees are somewhat airy as far as filtering light.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! From what I hear this yard used to be a beautiful oasis, when my husband's grandma and great grandparents were alive, and his Grandpa was well enough. I haven't know what do do with it until now. I think a permaculture landscape will be perfect. I'm not reading any books, but I've been spending a lot of time researching when it's too hot to go outside:p... I'm sure I'll learn a lot through trial and error.

BTW, I know I wrote about putting in a lawn here before, but I'm going to do this instead. It just seems like a better use of the space than a lawn no one will use. ;)

I wish I could hire an arborist to prune these trees in a way that they still look nice and healthy and filter more sunlight. We are going to take out some of the smaller trees and replace them with fruit trees and trim some of the lower branches. We also have a large carport and a large-ish shed that is going to be taken down within the next 6 months or so. That'll add a lot more space for fruit.

:D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amanda, I do suggest reading some from those who first devised permaculture.

Sepp Holzer wrote a paperback about integrating gardening and farming.
David Jacke wrote several volumes including one I intend to get about forest gardening and ecology.
David Holmgren the inventer, or rediscoverer, wrote a paperback describing the path to go beyond sustainability.
Bill Mollison, the older inventer of Permaculture, wrote the one you probably need most called "The Designer's Manual".

There is another permaculture related book called "Gaia's Garden", which I also intend to purchase soon.

Bountiful Garden, a seed company at Willits California, has these books and a lot more. They have a webpage that is easy to google.

I am real glad you are going past just putting in a lawn.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maybe that's what I'll tell my sister I want for christmas. She's been bugging me about that. I have time to get books, because right now I'm just going to layer the organic materials on the beds so that it will be ready for planting in spring. That's what I should do over winter when I'm not tending my winter garden:) I have a better place for a really small lawn. It'll be about 25x25 ft, and I think I want it to double as a hay production area for my rabbits and guinea pigs, and just an area to have people over and set up lawn chairs to sit and enjoy the scenery. I don't know if the hay part will work, though. Everything I've mentioned is just ideas so far, I just know I want to produce as much of ours and our pets diets as possible, so I'm trying to think of ideas to do that. I really should be writing all of these Ideas down because my brain can only hold so much:lol: I've been watching countless youtube videos and there are a lot of plants I see that I want to grow myself.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I heartily recommend "Gaia's Garden." It excited me about permaculture in a way none of the other books have. I was able to easily visualize what he was talking about, and it made good sense. Most libraries carry it, and it can be ordered at a reasonable price on amazon.com, too.

Suffice it to say that it's such a good, interesting read that it held my attention through three hours of waiting for my husband while he had a medical procedure done.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That's exactly what I need. I've been learning a lot by watching youtube, but I need it explained more clearly and detailed. I truly believe this is the way to go in gardening, but I'm having trouble putting it all together in my mind. Plus, I like to have control over things and the concept of just letting the plants take over is messing with me, even though I love the look. :D