Perserving Corn

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does the corn on the cob come out like it is fresh after doing all that? My biggest problem is that it isn't really good to eat after freezing it on the cob.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have tried freezing it on the cob and it has the cob taste. I like cutting it off the cob for space and taste. Mine tastes fresh. Remember don't over cook it. Just blanch it. If you over cook it and freeze it it will be tuff and not taste so well.
I also can mine in pint jars with no problem.
I will try and find my recipes and post them later.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We immerse our corn (on the cob) in boiling water for NO MORE than 3 minutes. Any more than that is not necessary to convert the starch and it makes the corn kind of tough and tasteless. Cool,cut off the cob, and into the freezer. I swear it will taste like you just picked it that morning! A person could keep it on the cob, I guess, but why would you? Takes up space! :p

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When we pick all the corn, we steam them all for like 15 minutes, eat what we can till we are about to pop, and cut the rest off and baggie them up. Corn and tomato sauce are the only two things that I can freeze and thaw, with results just like it was fresh. Peas and beans go soft on me, and so do squash.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed and SilkieChicken, when you freeze your corn, what do you freeze it in? Just Zip-loc type freezer bags, Tupperware, other....?

I've had great luck with dates, misc. fruit, blanched broccoli etc., but have never frozen corn.....yet! :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ziploc rules!!!! :cool: I flatten my bags one on top of the other, so that when they freeze they are slender and stackable! :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, Beekissed. :)

That's what I do with chicken. I cut several breasts into bite sized cubes, or strips, then put into portions flat to freeze. Not only are they easier to store that way, but they thaw quickly and evenly when I'm ready to use them! :)

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I am not sure porkroll is describable. It is sort of like a cross between bologna and sausage, and undoubtedly contains mostly the less-noble portions of the pig, and other things. Nice and fatty and salty :) You cut it in 1/4-1/2" slices, score the edges so it doesn't cup, and fry it up. Eat either plain, for breakfast (at least it means that everything else you eat that day will be health-food in comparison <g>) or slather with ketchup and eat between toast slices for lunch. Mmmmmmm <drool>

It is strictly a SE PA thing, as far as I know.
I'm in NE PA and it's all over up here. As far as I know, it was a Jersey thing (my mother's side is from NJ and they lived on it). If you travel any further west into PA, past Reading and such, they have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:
We like our porkroll on toasted hoagie rolls, with melted american cheese and mustard on top. Mmmmmm.

tiffanyh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! i am looking forward to trying it!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's it. I am going to try and make corn relish this weekend.

I still want to try a porkroll sandwich.

Pat or ShellieESterling know a good source?

Latest posts