Pessimism → Optimism

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has been overcast weather with very foggy mornings, lately. Last night, the visibility at a local airport was only ¼ mile. This afternoon --- Blue Skies!

The air quality deteriorated a few days ago with the California wildfire smoke but, it was so dismal around here because of clouds and fog, it was difficult to know how much smoke contributed. I really hope that some of the danger in California is passing with cooler weather and that rainclouds will be kind for all of the West. I'm encouraged by a recent analysis of reforestation and land restoration possibilities to lessen air pollution on a more permanent basis. Wouldn't that be wonderful - to have much more emphasis placed on restoring land?

There are some resent studies out on the iGeneration. Yes, we are moving beyond the Millennials. There hasn't been a consensus yet on their ages but I'm inclined to say that if they were born in 2005 or later, they are a new generation. The kids in schools are in this group. The researchers moved back a little further and included those born in 1998 so that college enrollment was considered. Well ... I hope the enrollment trends continue :).

Whether these are now late Millennials or early iGens, participation percentages have been increasing almost steadily since I was in college, and before. These days, the 18 to 20 year olds are going to higher ed at above 35%. Back in my day, only the boys were even approaching that number. (Something I learned a little aside is that those boys had a higher dropout rate so ...)

Yes, many more girls are graduating from high school and going on to college than when I first enrolled in the 1960's. Many, many more! But, it is pretty much all groups, gender/ethnic/generation.

It all makes me more optimistic about the future.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, our air quality over here is at it's all time high! We are wearing masks when we go outside. But most of us are staying indoors with our windows and doors closed. My gym has cancelled all classes for a couple days.
I probably need to go check to see if my garden needs watering but I haven't. :hide I can see most of it from the french doors and it looks fine.

Mary

Latest posts