pesto

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe it is the olive oil you don't like? Maybe try it with a milder oil?

Yes, Big brown horse, the garlic flower buds/bulbs are called garlic scapes. They make a nice pesto don't they? I think you can buy the garlic scapes at farmer's markets, but they have a short season.

glowworm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I LOVE pesto. I don't like any pesto besides the stuff I make myself, though, LOL. I have turned my BF and immediate family into pesto freaks too, I will put it on almost anything. Anyone else who has never tried pesto really likes my pesto too. I make big batches during the summer and freeze it in ice cubes trays (w/o the cheese, I add that in fresh after defrosting).

The type of basil you use is very important, I know what you mean about the clovey taste. You should try this basil if you are having problems. I also like using the "Italian pesto" Basil. Sweet basil is okay, but not as good as the previous two.

What is the recipe you are using?

I use a decent oil olive (most of the time kirkland's extra virgin, or one of Trader Joe's nicer oils), Percino Romano (better than parmesan, although you could go 50:50), and prefer roasting my garlic opposed to fresh garlic. I like roasted pine nuts the best too, however I have used raw pine nuts, roasted walnuts, and pistachios with good results.

Don't ever heat your basil/pesto in any way, it makes the basil go bitter.

Use the basil before it goes to flower, the flavor changes after that.

Latest posts