Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bonsai from a home-propagated chrysanthemum
P_20230510_222233_1.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
are mums perennial enough to be bonsai? i don't ever bring them inside to know. :)
I don't know yet, but this variety survived well in the cold greenhouse. I guess, it has a good chance to be perennialized.

No idea how well it can adapt to the Bonsai conditions, it's an amazing existence. Let's see. ✌️

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMG, I have two that I have kept going for several years. I REALLY need to get the window planter outside and take a picture.
ONLY freeze and frost will kill them. They can be over watered, underwatered, full sun, partial sun--they don't care.
I AM talking about the annual, Pelargonium, and not the hardy variety. Sorry, I like THESE flowers better!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first harvest of mints and sages - they will become one major item I will sell in the small shop. Customers can choose the herbs they want and have a freshly-brew herbal tea.
6847.jpg

The next targets to pick from our garden are Lilac flowers and nettles shoots.
6859_0.jpg

6858_0.jpg

The overwintered pansies and their young generations. I will certainly dig them out after another one or two weeks and treat them as wonderful volunteer plants of the year. Well, there are at least a dozen of them.
6855_0.jpg

It's so nice to have many fresh greens to enjoy at this time of the year.
6850_0.jpg

Purple pak choi seems happy about the current weather - warm and wet.
6857_0.jpg

The very first bud of the rose I propagated later year from a cutting - as a common practice, I pinched it to preserve the energy from flowering. I am willing to wait for another year until she becomes a robust plant.
6861.jpg

Finally, a Honey and Milk loaf with Ram-soaked raisins
6846.jpg

Crispy outside and fluffy soft inside, so wonderful!
6864.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a lovely Sunday!
6934_0.jpg

I aim to clean up this flower bed area and change the potted plants from Hyacinths to Dahlias today.
6938_0.jpg

The Hyacinths looked pretty spent, and Dahlia tubers were ready. As there won't be frost from now on, it's the right time for transplanting Dahlias tubers that have develop quicker and better in the past few weeks.
6936_0.jpg

6928_0.jpg

To my surprise (huge surprise), there are so many earthworms in each pot. I went to the tool shed and brought a fancy birthday gift I have never used till now - an apartment for earthworms.
6933_0.jpg

After all pots were done, I also 'harvested' at least 150 earthworms - totally good enough to start such an apartment for them.
6931_0.jpg

I put the apartment in the hoop tunnel, so even if they escape, they just rejoin nature.
6927_0.jpg

I also used these containers to create a temporary residence for Hyacinths to die back. It's great to find another purpose for those milk bottles.
6935_0.jpg

6932_0.jpg

The Rhododendron is ready to blossom soon, and Dahlias can well enjoy and prepare at this west-facing space.
6955.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Captain's Log, Stardate 76834.4.

This is to record my ongoing missions to explore the Bonsai Galaxy. I have traveled through the Rhododendron Nebula and finally reached a star system that is home to various beautiful Azaleas. We aim to free and transform four imprisoned Azalea plants into independent bonsai trees. The plants were being held in captivity on a remote planet, and I had to navigate through a series of obstacles and challenges to liberate them.

6974_0.jpg

The Azaleas are now under my care after an overnight rescue.
6976.jpg

Transforming them into beautiful bonsai trees will be a testament to their strength and resilience. However, this is not an easy task, as properly trimming their roots and giving them new shapes requires patience, great care, and skill. Nevertheless, I am committed to seeing this mission through to the end.
6971_1.jpg

6970_1.jpg

As I work on shaping these plants, I am reminded of the fragility of life in the universe. Unfortunately, two of the Azalea branches were broken during the rescue mission, and I feel a sense of regret for the loss. However, I will do my best to ensure that the remaining Azaleas are cared for with the utmost respect and attention to detail. The broken branches will be preserved for further propagation study.
6977(1).jpg

Transforming these Azaleas into bonsai trees is not just a mission objective but also a chance for personal growth. The process requires patience, attention, and a steady hand. But the rewards of seeing these once-imprisoned plants thrive in their newfound freedom are immeasurable. Successfully creating four azalea bonsai samples for further study is a testament to our efforts, and this hands-on experience will be useful for future adventures. I look forward to sharing my findings with my colleagues. Captain out.
6967_1.jpg

6961_0.jpg

And yes, I am a Trekkie. 🖖

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another two weeks of cold weather are waiting, but there are so many lovely signals everywhere.

One of the normal garden geraniums I propagated last year - is ready to blossom.
View attachment 55349
Bleeding hearts that I transplanted in the ground last year - I didn't expect to see them again after such a cold winter. But they are coming back.
View attachment 55350
Echinacea/coneflowers that I grew from seeds are also coming back.
View attachment 55351

Scallions - re-growing from the discounted ingredients we bought at the discounter.
View attachment 55352
Overwintered Chili plants - they stayed indoors (unheated room) all the time. I moved them into the living room and let them stay with the seedlings. The side shoots grow again with the growing light and proper temperature (about 20~21 degrees C).
I guess I will do the same this year for other chili varieties I will grow.
View attachment 55353
Peas for shoots - I pinched them and have them as salad greens in my sandwich.
View attachment 55354
View attachment 55355

Annual rose pruning and using the cuttings for propagation - I love my bottle domes!
View attachment 55356
I love your idea of putting the peas on your sandwich! Yummy! I adore vegetables!