Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I never realized this before. Sure enough there are 3 species of native Monarda, and it looks like my newest garden additions are wild bergamot rather than some garden escapees. Thank you for this information!
I also had this common variety in the garden - their color is so bright! :D
8998(1).jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DH has his home office every Friday, so we can go to buy some just-baked bread from the shops in the morning. We went to Lidl today and got this veggie bag. Those no-longer-that-pretty veggies and fruits would be collected and sold for 3 Euros per bag.

Well, why not?
8997.jpg

I brought them to my outdoor working bench and set things up - a bucket to collect water, and a bag to collect scraps for compost. I added some seaweed extract to the bucket, and the water for rinsing/washing went into that bucket. So, after my work is done, I am also ready to feed some hungry plants.

8980.jpg

8978.jpg

I also did the food preparation for ourselves, hens, and quails from the Lidl veggie bag. It's a huge bowl of salad for hens and quails - and they can enjoy many different things.
8999(1).jpg

Not that perfect ones (right side) became their salad.
8975.jpg

It's colorful and nutritious.
8977.jpg

They are happy, and I am happy, too - the less food waste, the better.
9000(1).jpg

Ours are also done.
8969.jpg

I don't know, a cup of Latte from any coffee shop will charge you more than 3 Euros here - I guess, the money I paid for this veggie bag already returned to me with unexpected joy and satisfaction.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I brought them to my outdoor working bench and set things up - a bucket to collect water, and a bag to collect scraps for compost. I added some seaweed extract to the bucket, and the water for rinsing/washing went into that bucket. So, after my work is done, I am also ready to feed some hungry plants.

View attachment 58940
View attachment 58939

I also did the food preparation for ourselves, hens, and quails from the Lidl veggie bag. It's a huge bowl of salad for hens and quails - and they can enjoy many different things.
View attachment 58941

Not that perfect ones (right side) became their salad.
View attachment 58943

It's colorful and nutritious.
View attachment 58942
They are happy, and I am happy, too - the less food waste, the better.
View attachment 58944

Ours are also done.
View attachment 58945
EVERYONE eats well at your house, Phaedra, it's plain to see! Those look like some happy chickens. You made a haul at the farmers market!

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also had this common variety in the garden - their color is so bright! :D
View attachment 58936
Those look like the descendants of my single stow-away stem from the garden store. Mine are humming with fat little bumblebees right now. Hummingbirds, Hummingbird moths, and butterflies are other visitors.

I love the packaging on your seed packets. They look at once both homespun and classy. If I walked into your store and saw these, I would buy them.

Last edited: