Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know, Phaedra ...

Europe has some problems with invasive North American species. But, it's nice to see "American" flowers in your garden!
Hi Steve, great to know their real names! Shasta daisies and Gaillardia, both are lovely varieties. I guess that I bought one small pot of Shasta daisies a few years ago and planted them somewhere (I didn't remember). This spring I decided to dig them out and divide them.

Well, they are very tough warriors - all divided plants survived and now blossom in different corners. I took a photo of them in the early morning today, and they look just gorgeous.

8654.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today's sunrise moment - I love to get up very early and stay in the garden for a long while - It offers something like 'all you can enjoy'!
8666.jpg

The earliest batch of Dahlias are blossoming.
8667.jpg

Time for deadheading roses, too
8665.jpg

Growing these flowers is a practical investment.
8660.jpg

What I need is a simple container to carry these beauties.
8657.jpg

I also started the Forest Garden N°2 - all warmth-loving and potted plants are moving to their new residence now, including the volunteer tomatoes. It's somehow interesting to see so many seeds I randomly sprinkled in this patch successfully germinated, especially beetroots, cosmos, and calendulas.
8653.jpg

Well, I had some 'sprouted' potatoes, too. So... :lol: :lol::lol:
8686.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gardener's Log 23S#05 - Forest Garden Patch N°2

Forest Garden Patch N°2 is also located on the west-facing side of the garden, receiving nearly full sunlight. Initially, when we purchased the house, I made the mistake of using chicken wire to create a temporary border. However, this decision proved problematic as weeds grew over the wires, causing significant trouble when it came to cleaning up the mess.
8753.jpg

Eventually, we removed the wires and planted several Nashi trees. The revised idea was to create a "living fence" or an "edible border." The Nashi trees remained there for two more years while my focus shifted elsewhere.

Last summer, we added two apple trees and one volunteer Hazelnut. This spring, I transplanted two American persimmons, one Sichuan pepper, and one arrowwood 'Dawn.' Suddenly, the basic structure of a forest garden patch started to take shape. While working on Patch N°1, I also contemplated what should be transplanted to Patch N°2.

Nashi, Apple, Japanese Plum (Prunus mume) and Persimmon
Arrowwood, Silverberry
Sichuan pepper, Roses, Summer and Autumn Raspberry
Sedum, Aster, Dahlias, Shasta Daisy, Artichoke
Garlic, Potatoes
Strawberries, Pumpkins
Grapes

To fill in the gaps, I dug out herbs that were slowly developing in shady areas and relocated Clary Sage, Bee Balm, Basil, Parsley, and Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) to this patch. Additionally, some volunteer tomatoes, borages, and peony poppies were also uprooted and transplanted here.

Patch N°2 is more intriguing than Patch N°1 because I conducted a small experiment by directly sowing seeds about a month ago. Calendulas, Cosmos, Sunflowers, and Beetroots, emerged and rapidly grew into robust plants within a few weeks. Encouraged by this success, I repeated the process with ‘I-didn’t-know-what-are-included’ seeds.
8756.jpg

Relocated Plants
8754.jpg

The preparation of Patch N°2 is nearly complete now, and thanks to today's thunderstorm, a substantial amount of rain settled the mulch layer made from grass clippings quite nicely.

8757.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Steve, great to know their real names! Shasta daisies and Gaillardia, both are lovely varieties. I guess that I bought one small pot of Shasta daisies a few years ago and planted them somewhere (I didn't remember). This spring I decided to dig them out and divide them.

Well, they are very tough warriors - all divided plants survived and now blossom in different corners. I took a photo of them in the early morning today, and they look just gorgeous.

View attachment 58539

yes, they are tough plants. if you don't deadhead them you'll have plenty of volunteers. i've had to remove large patches of them and it takes some effort.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In less than 10 days, all plants fit in properly - they do enjoy the compost (2" deep) and the full sunlight in this spot.
8831.jpg

Two overwintered chili plants are also here. They enjoy this condition very much.
8794.jpg

The color of this runner bean, oh my, fascinating. It is as attractive as sweet peas for flower arrangement, in my opinion.
8771.jpg

The places for my biannual plants and young plants from cuttings to grow - I will dig them out and transplant them to the sunny spot next spring. So far, they are doing well.
8767_0.jpg

A cheap and weak Bougainvillea bought from Aldi - after some pruning, repotting, and feeding, it is growing into a much more robust and lovely plant. As it can't overwinter outside, I will let it stay in this wooden 'apartment' and bring it into the greenhouse in late autumn.
8769_0.jpg

Round head leeks - Aren't they just adorable? I will try to propagate them with the method I grow chives.
8819.jpg

Baby watermelons are on the way!
8818.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was raised in Houston, Texas. In our backyard we had grapefruit and kumquat trees. And a huge bougainvillea that would be covered with dark burgundy blooms. It was so pretty. Thank you for reminding me.
My grandmother also lived in Houston, in an older section known as The Heigjts. There wasn’t much space between her and the neighbors house, on the south side, perfect sheltered spot for the beautiful poinsettia she grew. Christmas was festive with all the vases of poinsettia arrangements placed in the house.

I just mapped my old address, it’s only 133 miles south of me. But I'm far enough north that I can’t grow sensitive plants like that here.

Thank you for sharing your bougainvillea , it is lovely. I love the cute apartment you have provided for it!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was raised in Houston, Texas. In our backyard we had grapefruit and kumquat trees. And a huge bougainvillea that would be covered with dark burgundy blooms. It was so pretty. Thank you for reminding me.
My grandmother also lived in Houston, in an older section known as The Heigjts. There wasn’t much space between her and the neighbors house, on the south side, perfect sheltered spot for the beautiful poinsettia she grew. Christmas was festive with all the vases of poinsettia arrangements placed in the house.

I just mapped my old address, it’s only 133 miles south of me. But I'm far enough north that I can’t grow sensitive plants like that here.

Thank you for sharing your bougainvillea , it is lovely. I love the cute apartment you have provided for it!
Bougainvillea is also a very popular plant in Taiwan, as the weather is suitable for them. I once had one with a mixture of creamy white and pink with a slight touch of green. It's difficult for such a variety to survive in Germany, so I picked the most common one (bougainvillea glabra) as it is the most robust in their family. I can let it stay in the unheated room next to the greenhouse during winter. I might have to keep it small and stay in this wooden apartment. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today is again a day I invited one local resident to try some items I would sell in the shop.

Asian-style Cold Noodle Salad with Sweet and Spicy Sesame Sauce
8865.jpg

Hot Press Sandwich with Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, and Garlic Confit
NichiNichi Garden Salad
8866.jpg

8863.jpg

Honey and Melon Smoothie
8864.jpg

With these volunteer testers, I had realistic feedback for things I wanted to try, such as encouraging people to bring their own containers (with an instant price deduction), a bit more creative and improvised items, etc.

Back to the garden...
The gladiolus I grew this year is amazingly beautiful.
8855.jpg

These two roses are propagated from cuttings - the last two from 2022 - all others were transplanted in the ground earlier.
I still want to do some experiments on them. Besides removing all flower buds (I don't let such propagated roses flower in their first year), I also cut them back a bit to let the energy focus on the root system and main stem.

They are staying in a deep container on an outdoor shelf, where they receive sufficient direct sunlight. Let's see.
8867.jpg

Chives - I buried the flower head directly into the nursery pots on July 6th. They germinate 'aggressively' as the seeds are super fresh. Well, such a lovely must in a survival garden, isn't it?
8872.jpg

Echinacea 'Butterfly Kisses'
8868.jpg

Pelargonium 'Appleblossom Rosebud' (Zonal Geranium)
8869.jpg

Latest posts