Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
That shower curtain is genius! There are many really pretty ones on the market.
When I was a kid I wanted to paint my room. My mother gave me few choices, mostly pink. :sick:sick:sick:sick:sick
Probably the UGLIEST pink you can imagine, a pink with a slap of yellow, and NO, it wasn't salmon, just fugly!
So, I wanted to Repaint soon afterwards. At that time a local hardware store offered 3 types of wallpaper that were outdoor scenes. One was a fall forest with dark trees. I LOVED it!
I repainted the rest of the small room white, and she never changed it.
Don't think they make That one anymore, but it looked something like this one.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That shower curtain is genius! There are many really pretty ones on the market.
When I was a kid I wanted to paint my room. My mother gave me few choices, mostly pink. :sick:sick:sick:sick:sick
Probably the UGLIEST pink you can imagine, a pink with a slap of yellow, and NO, it wasn't salmon, just fugly!
So, I wanted to Repaint soon afterwards. At that time a local hardware store offered 3 types of wallpaper that were outdoor scenes. One was a fall forest with dark trees. I LOVED it!
I repainted the rest of the small room white, and she never changed it.
Don't think they make That one anymore, but it looked something like this one.
I always like such kinds of forest wallpapers! My FIL once had a small house in a very rural location, about another 45 minutes drive from our current home. DH and I like to spend weekends there, so we renovated it in all kinds of cost-effective ways, including using such wallpapers in one room.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okay, my sowing officially started, and I decided to make a more detailed record for veggies, cut flowers, and herbs/tea gardens.

I used one seed catalog and the official websites of seed companies for building my own notes.
2287.jpg

So, the seed catalog has one more contribution.
2300.jpg

I also prepared the labels (made from recycled yogurt cups).
2285_0.jpg

Everything ready! Today, I sowed ten veggies, four flowers, and one herb.
2286_0.jpg

The seeds will stay in the boiler room until they germinate; I made new planters from cleaned bottles. The tops and bottoms were kept, and the middle parts were cut into labels.
2290.jpg

2302.jpg

I drilled some holes in both bottoms and on the tops.
2291.jpg

I don't need big planters for seed germination - the method I use for most of the seeds is to let them germinate first together, prick them out, and relocate them into module trays.

This downsized bottle planter should be practical enough to hold moisture and warmth for seeds.
2293.jpg

The 15 seeds sowed today - only wild rockets, scallions, and beet greens were directly multi-sown in the module trays.
2295.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow-- you have been busy! Are the module trays of beet greens, scallions and rocket going to remain inside until they germinate, or do you leave them outdoors until they sprout?

P.S. Love the Japanese (?) characters on the plant tags!
I will let them stay in the boiler room with other seeds. Until they germinate, they will be moved to an unheated room, under growing light, or the unheated greenhouse when the temperature is milder. Those are reasonably cold-hardy and will be transplanted outside after mid-March.

On the tags is the traditional Chinese characters. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Within 48 hours, this oak leaf lettuce 'Bijella' started germinating. Seed freshness is critical for lettuce. As the light in the boiler room is the minimum level, I removed this germination bottle to the shelf with growing light.
2345.jpg

With this progress, I could prick them out and move the seedlings into module trays in another few days.
2347.jpg

Microgreens are growing well, and I sowed more today.
2349.jpg

2350.jpg

I can't resist sandwiches with fresh microgreens and eggs from the backyard!
2348.jpg

The newly sown ones are staying in the boiler room, too.
2346.jpg

I will sow another batch of Lisianthus and Snapdragons tomorrow.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The oak leaf lettuce 'Bijella' and one crown daisy (Chrysanthemum coronarium) checked out from the germination dome and were pricked into module trays.
2443.jpg

I also directly sowed home-saved peas (2 per cell) and cherry radishes (4-5 per cell) for their greens.
2444.jpg

For flowers, I sowed two varieties of zonal geraniums and a second batch of Lisianthus. They both stayed in the germination domes now, as it's pretty easy to observe them. As expected, the germination domes (from milk bottles) kept the moisture and temperature well.

Tomorrow is a new month! So I used two even warmer colors to make the beds - it looks and feels good.
2447.jpg

How I missed the days I had endless flowers from our own garden!
2448.jpg

Also, the lunch for DH :D
2446.jpg

Latest posts