Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I think my thread is better under random ramblings, as not always garden-related, especially in the winter months.

A new start - let me share two tarts I accomplished today -

Flan Tart with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Caramelized Pecans
15121.jpg

I also used the homemade Vanilla extract (Vanilla beans and Rum) in the pastry cream, it tastes so good!
15124.jpg

15120.jpg

The other is Red Wine-Poached Pear Frangipane Tart - so exciting for the first bite~ the combination of red wine, pear, and the almond cream is so harmonious.

15119.jpg
It's my first time to poach pears in the red wine. Soaking for sufficient time is crucial.
15123.jpg

The first batch sat in the wine for overnight, and the color is already alluring. However, I should have turned off the heat earlier. They are a bit too soft.
15122.jpg

Anyway, there is a lovely balance between the pears and the almond cream underneath. DH and I both love it.
15117.jpg

Both tarts were cut and ready to serve - testers from our neighborhood will pick this evening.
15118.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As the weather was pretty mild these few weeks....
Next week, the temperature will drop to -8~-10℃ for about 5~6 days, ahhhh
15154.jpg

15153.jpg

Outside is rainy and muddy....so my focus remains indoors. We found some volunteer testers to try my baking goods. So far, the feedbacks are nice, and a doctor would like to directly order the two tarts I made.

Swiss rolls are also the cakes I like very much, and I added plenty fresh fruits inside.
15151.jpg

15152.jpg

15155.jpg

akroberts

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I think my thread is better under random ramblings, as not always garden-related, especially in the winter months.

A new start - let me share two tarts I accomplished today -

Flan Tart with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Caramelized Pecans
View attachment 63087

I also used the homemade Vanilla extract (Vanilla beans and Rum) in the pastry cream, it tastes so good!
View attachment 63088

View attachment 63089

The other is Red Wine-Poached Pear Frangipane Tart - so exciting for the first bite~ the combination of red wine, pear, and the almond cream is so harmonious.

View attachment 63090 It's my first time to poach pears in the red wine. Soaking for sufficient time is crucial.
View attachment 63091

The first batch sat in the wine for overnight, and the color is already alluring. However, I should have turned off the heat earlier. They are a bit too soft.
View attachment 63092

Anyway, there is a lovely balance between the pears and the almond cream underneath. DH and I both love it.
View attachment 63094

Both tarts were cut and ready to serve - testers from our neighborhood will pick this evening.
View attachment 63095
Those look so good.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PLEASE tell me @Phaedra that you have friends helping you to consume your tasty treats! :drool:drool:drool
Yes! We called for volunteering testers from the neighborhood and DH's colleagues, about 10 persons. The best thing when you start baking intensively for a while, you don't want to touch any of them. :lol: It's the most important task before the practices start.

I just got an order for both tarts I made last week from a doctor, so happy! They want the tarts for birthday celebration of a family member.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chocolate Genoise (Sponge Cake) with Orange Diplomat Cream - I almost fall in love with its appearance, almost.
15164.jpg

It's really a wonderful adventure, and I learn a lot!

15165.jpg

15160_0.jpg

15159.jpg

Taiwanese Black Tea Swiss Roll with Melon
15161.jpg

I made some simple dark chocolate decoration, too. Simple piping and let cool for a while in the greenhouse
15167.jpg

A lovely and unique piece is done~
15166.jpg

15162.jpg

The Best way to ensure the success of whipped cream - oh my, a bag of frozen peas is simply unbeatable!
15168.jpg

They also tried this sandwich with Muhammara dip (major ingredients include roasted red peppers, tomatoes, pecans, onions, beetroots, and garlic, seasoned with olive oil, salt, and freshly roasted and grounded coriander seeds and kummel seeds.
15171.jpg

We have a small coffee party with testers today, and I asked some crucial questions like the size and the price of the cakes/sandwiches, is the 50cent discount (for each cake/sandwich/coffee...) they bring their own containers to buy) attractive, and etc. So far, their feedbacks are pretty close to my ideas.

It's a wonderful Saturday.

akroberts

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chocolate Genoise (Sponge Cake) with Orange Diplomat Cream - I almost fall in love with its appearance, almost.
View attachment 63166
It's really a wonderful adventure, and I learn a lot!

View attachment 63175
View attachment 63167

View attachment 63168
Taiwanese Black Tea Swiss Roll with Melon
View attachment 63169

I made some simple dark chocolate decoration, too. Simple piping and let cool for a while in the greenhouse
View attachment 63170
A lovely and unique piece is done~
View attachment 63171

View attachment 63173

The Best way to ensure the success of whipped cream - oh my, a bag of frozen peas is simply unbeatable!
View attachment 63172

They also tried this sandwich with Muhammara dip (major ingredients include roasted red peppers, tomatoes, pecans, onions, beetroots, and garlic, seasoned with olive oil, salt, and freshly roasted and grounded coriander seeds and kummel seeds.
View attachment 63174

We have a small coffee party with testers today, and I asked some crucial questions like the size and the price of the cakes/sandwiches, is the 50cent discount (for each cake/sandwich/coffee...) they bring their own containers to buy) attractive, and etc. So far, their feedbacks are pretty close to my ideas.

Your baked goodies look delicious. Hope you have a great day with lots of good reviews

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I really like the idea of offering a discount for those who bring their own containers, to reduce the need to use packaging that almost always ends up in the landfill. Packaging is expensive too, and needs to be tailored to fit the particular item. You will have a lot more creative freedom if you don't have to spend time figuring out how you will package the baked goods. You have the start of something beautiful here Phaedra! 😍

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really like the idea of offering a discount for those who bring their own containers, to reduce the need to use packaging that almost always ends up in the landfill. Packaging is expensive too, and needs to be tailored to fit the particular item. You will have a lot more creative freedom if you don't have to spend time figuring out how you will package the baked goods. You have the start of something beautiful here Phaedra! 😍
Yes, packaging causes a lot of troubles. They will become waste eventually, and storage management also takes time, resource, and effort. I can understand some people prefer convenience than environmental care, but for anyone who is willing to be eco-friendly, they will get not only the 50 cent discount, but also a bonus program that they can collect stamps for a living plant for free. 🌷

I have a lot of living plants to offer as gifts, hehe. ✌️

Latest posts