Phaedra's Adventure

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Rain in the morning, so I stayed in the kitchen and enjoyed breakfast, music, and the garden magazine.
View attachment 65307
The strawberry shortcake that I made yesterday
View attachment 65308

This week, I took a small order and prepared three lunch boxes for DH's colleague.
Kind of Asian fusion meals :D
View attachment 65309
View attachment 65310
View attachment 65311
Everything is growing nicely.
View attachment 65312
Very unique lettuce
View attachment 65313
Ha, Ha!!! DD's are always talking about "lunchboxes" that they see on Anime. NOW I know what they look like.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The quail lived in this sickbay already went to the rainbow bridge a few weeks ago, and I buried her under the new honeyberry plant. I didn't want to touch this customized residence that I renovated for her not too long ago, but eventually, it deserves to be re-purposed.

18618.jpg

So, I removed the plywood at the back and use the greenhouse panel on the top as the new back. The top and the front were also replaced with same panels. Now the sickbay was lifted on a shelf and becomes a small greenhouse inside my glass greenhouse. I used the recycled plastic trays (from supermarkets) here to carry plants.
18617.jpg

18616.jpg

I also changed where the solar light would stand.
18611.jpg

That means, now I have several places for plants to stay, based on how much cold they can tolerate. Those warmth-loving/frost-sensitive ones and newly-sown seeds will stay indoors during nights/cold days; those can stand a bit cold but appreciate warmth, they will stay in the two mini-greenhouse inside greenhouse; those can take more cold will stay in hoop tunnels; and those are fine with frost were transplanted already.

So far, this one will receive direct sunlight from 11am to 2pm.
18614.jpg

A lovely image from last year's calendar - great to find a right place for it. Good to get this project done today.
18621.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Every year, I want to try propagating something from the garden. I divided daylilies, sedums, Shasta daisies, and Asters last year, and they all settled down very well in the new spots. This year, I am working on the pink currant plants that I bought several years ago.

I didn't give them sufficient attention last year, and the small raised bed is somehow invaded by all kinds of weeds. I checked them a few weeks ago realized that all three plants look very sad - almost no new leaves. So two days ago, I dug them out. Yes, my bad, I didn't even prune them.

18752.jpg

Some are very old stems that need to be pruned.
18749.jpg

After taking closer look, it's interesting to find that many branches developed roots as they were buried with soil (not me, just after years of growth and my neglect). In other words, the nature did some 'layering' works on them. I read this 'layering' technique for a long while but didn't try yet. It's fascinating to see this with my own eyes.

18750.jpg

18734.jpg

18732.jpg

So, I removed and discarded all dead branches. Then, I took a somewhat bold step - I divided the plants based on their current structures, rather than simply removing more inward-growing branches.

I kept the main plant with the most complete root system, and several sub-plants with comparatively less but should be sufficient roots. For example, three plants were divided from one in the photo below. The main plant (middle) still has the problem that all branches are too centered, but this can be improved later via branch training.

They are soaking in water with a bit liquid feed now. I will transplant the main plants into bottomless containers and buried the containers in the ground. For the sub-plants, I will pot them on, let them stay in a tray(they will get water from the tray as a root training), and keep them where receives mostly filtered or dappled sunlight for weeks. As the sub-plants begin to develop stronger root systems and show signs of new growth, I will gradually transition them to locations with more sunlight.
18733.jpg

I also made some cuttings (mostly for fun). So maybe, if the divided plants do well, I will have a currant patch next year. Those are pink currants, and I have propagated black currants two years ago from cuttings (they are bearing fruits now), plus the red ones brought by birds - I have collected three colors already. :D
18747.jpg

Meanwhile, I am also trying to use the basal shoots from the apple rose (Rosa rugosa) to form a short hedge in front of one chicken coop.
18754.jpg

Plant propagation is so much fun!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plants sitting on the window sill for germinating - it's very effective as the heater is underneath. I add some water on the bottom tray so the soil in the tiny seed tray won't dry out. Most of them will leave the tiny tray soon.
18716_0.jpg

It's still cold and wet outside, due to the rain, snow, frost, and wind. However, whenever the sun comes out, I will clean the garden with grass shear manually. Don't know why, but I do enjoy such quiet working moments.
18705.jpg

18704.jpg

Melons are doing well.
18761.jpg

Peppers are growing nicely, too.
18762.jpg

Scallions and Leeks, will be transplanted today.
18756.jpg

Very young plant for sea lavender (Limonium) - their leaves are so cute!
18758.jpg

The 2nd batch potatoes, ready to be transplanted.
18757.jpg

Tomatoes and Amaranthus (for eating their leaves) - I am satisfied with their current size, not in any hurry.
18760.jpg

Very new sprouting from Echinacea seeds I bought this year 'Sahara' - they are sooo tiny.
18755.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know why, but I do enjoy such quiet working moments
Luckily for us, Phaedra , you enjoy communicating online and with photos.

People seem to have a balance; some may be “skewed” one way or the other. Some may swing ttooo far with some behavior.

It doesn’t surprise me that you enjoy quiet, garden moments. Certainly, it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that you enjoy working in the garden.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Luckily for us, Phaedra , you enjoy communicating online and with photos.

People seem to have a balance; some may be “skewed” one way or the other. Some may swing ttooo far with some behavior.

It doesn’t surprise me that you enjoy quiet, garden moments. Certainly, it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that you enjoy working in the garden.

Steve
Thanks, Steve.

For me, working in the garden is the moment I am always honest to myself. It's playful and delightful because none forces me - self-motivation is the best fuel. I'm grateful for having a garden (or a kind of tiny amusement park?) to work with - there are endless things to learn and enjoy.

I changed a bit setting in one of the corners today and can't help myself thinking how forgiving this place is, for all my trial-and-errors.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did some mowing today and used a small part of the clipping as mulching for small areas I sowed directly. Seedlings are emerging, so a bit protection is welcome.
18777.jpg

I pricked out one tray of seedlings and wondered what else should I sow - bush beans, more leeks and scallions, large brassicas for autumn harvest, and maybe another batch of adzuki beans? I already have a lot of young plants waiting to be transplanted.
18779.jpg

18780.jpg

And I received three new sweet pea seeds that I will sow later today.
18776.jpg

The working result of today, a much cleaner corner - there are still some fixing and feeding tasks to do, but I am satisfied with the progress so far.
18787.jpg

The next tulips that are ready for their prime time - lily-flowered tulip 'Sarah Raven'
18785.jpg

Latest posts