Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
if you have space for a few extra trees look for some legume trees (make sure they're not considered invasive for your area) because they are a really great nitrogen fixer and a chop and drop foliage source for both animals and plants. these are often trees that are used in permaculture plantings in arid climates because of that precious nitrogen fixing but also for early shade and mulch that can be used in so many ways. in the arid climates the mulch and windbreaks are critical for getting crops to be able to survive such a harsh spot, but once going they are so useful. :)

small clovers too.
I ordered three young silverberry plants, as they are also nitrogen fixers and can produce extra food. :D
And our garden is full of white and red clovers; I am waiting for the next rain to sow alfalfa seeds, too.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we have plenty of homegrown veggies and eggs, plus a regular treasure hunt by Lidl, the food cost is very low.
1659987660814.png

1659987739235.png

What we got today from Lidl - their staff was just about to put the stickers on. We already got all items due tomorrow in our cart; they saved many stickers. :ya
I am satisfied with the variety we got today - it's a perfect hunt.

7315.jpg

7316.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weekly propagation time - checking root development, removing flowers, pinching tops, and repotting.

For the young Geraniums that grew from cuttings, I removed their flowers.
7556.jpg

Black elderberry cutting, the root ball grows so well!
6838.jpg

3 Honeysuckles, 2 roses, 7 black elderberries - all ready to enter the next stage - and I will use bottomless planters to grow them.
6837.jpg

Black currant cuttings root pretty fast, just two weeks. Black currants and black elderberries are two major warriors I will plant inside the chicken runs (with protection). I wish they could grow up well and offer extra food and shades.
1660373271029.png

The ginger rhizomes are also rooting right below the sprouts.
6827.jpg

6826.jpg

I also topped all the baby's-breath young plants again. They are already bushier - as the side shoots grew out.
6834.jpg

6831.jpg

The roots are already visible from the bottom but not yet fully developed. So I topped them again. Another week or ten days later, I think it will be the right time to repot them into bigger containers.
6828.jpg

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you going to overwinter your geraniums? I don't have a greenhouse yet, but I read on a blog that Steve recommended several years ago (Susan's in the Garden - she's in Spokane WA) to trim down a bit, remove soil and wrap in newspaper. Put in cool dark spot.

I bought three Martha Washington geraniums to do just this with as a trial.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are you going to overwinter your geraniums? I don't have a greenhouse yet, but I read on a blog that Steve recommended several years ago (Susan's in the Garden - she's in Spokane WA) to trim down a bit, remove soil and wrap in newspaper. Put in cool dark spot.

I bought three Martha Washington geraniums to do just this with as a trial.
Yes, many people will store the roots in the paper, keep in a cool dark spot, and replant them in the spring.

I forgot to bring them in last winter, so they stayed in the greenhouse. However, they survived. I will keep them this winter in the greenhouse but on a shelf with wheels. When the weather goes harsh, they can be easily moved into the rooms next to the greenhouse. Besides, we have one east-facing wall made from old-fashioned glass stones. I used this area for indoor planting, majorly for newly propagated cuttings. I guess this is also an ideal overwinter spot for plants in winter.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This year, I planted about 20 pre-sprouted Dahlia tubers in 10Liter Pots. All were pinched when they were young, so the blossoming began pretty late, about early August.

There are also Dahlias growing in the raised beds from the undug tubers. As they are not pre-sprouted but pinched, it might take them another two weeks to flower.

So far, they are growing well; at least, I am satisfied. The advantage is -- easy to display and manage at all stages. They didn't have access to the soil, but I fed them weekly with seaweed fertilizer.
6851.jpg

6849.jpg

6852.jpg

I am not sure about their leaves - many at the bottom are old or damaged leaves. Anyway, I spent some time in the evening cleaning them up.

(I am happy that I painted this gate earlier, now, it's the best display area for these potted Dahlias.)
6850.jpg

This is the one who blossomed from July, and it needs some care for sure. Besides deadheading, I removed leaves at the bottom and crossed over among the stems. I am not sure if such principles are applicable for Dahlias, but removing whatever blocks the sunlight and ventilation should not be harmful.
6853.jpg

After cleaning up
6854.jpg

The hot and dry weather remains here. I used the removed leaves to make a quick mulch layer, fed them, and put them back.

6857.jpg

6855.jpg

6858.jpg

Still, some leaves and flowers are left, so they became chickens' snacks.
6860.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
August, so many things are happening in the garden.

I still remember the time when I propagated these cuttings, and suddenly, they became so giant!!

4127.jpg

img.jpg

They are from the same mother plants.
img (1).jpg

After offering so many cuttings, the mother plants look like this after a few months.
6905.jpg

I transplanted three in this plastic planter after lifting Tulips in late June. It's mid-August now, and they have already become monsters.
6902.jpg

So, I lifted them again, quickly cleaned up the damaged leaves at the bottom, soaked them in the water for 20 mins, and then repotted them in the 10Liter pots.
6900.jpg

6901.jpg

7731.jpg

They were all from the same mother plants and once so tiny...
6903.jpg

6904.jpg

I started to feed them the specific fertilizer for encouraging flowering. It must be amazing when the flowers are finally there.
Well, I will never need to buy such florists' daisy plants. :lol:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fruit trees are performing, too.
7729.jpg

Autumn Raspberry and pink blueberries
7724.jpg

Nashi on the way~
7728.jpg

Lemon on the way
7727.jpg

Grapes in their bling-bling protection
7726.jpg

I removed all the sweet peas, cleaned the bed a bit, and let some cuttings stay here outdoors - they are almost ready to be transplanted to the bottomless containers.
7709.jpg

The old friend - Café au lait
7662.jpg

I didn't dig their tubers out last winter, as I was kind of exhausted digging out and cleaning up all Dahlia tubers. So, they were left behind.

After winter, I checked them again and realized, oh shift, most of them were dead (the tubers are frozen and destroyed). I felt sorry, but life has to go on. So, I covered another layer of compost and soil, then transplanted the young corns into this bed.

A few weeks later, ohhhh shiffttttt! While corns were growing steadily and quickly, Dahlias started to emerge.

Well, that's the story, and the story is on air right now in two different beds. I have Dahlias growing as a companion with corns, and I also have Dahlias growing as a companion with outdoor tomatoes.....
🤣

Latest posts