Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Listening to the podcast from The Guardian about the rising energy bills and pricking the leafy green seedlings for harvesting in autumn and winter

Unexpected and unknown issues will keep popping up, and what I can do are those within my circle of control.
8466.jpg

The strawberry propagation is also going on.
8467.jpg

Lovely zinnia
8468.jpg

Tomorrow will be another new day.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first trial of grafting tomato on potato can be counted as 50% successful. It's already close to the end of the most ideal growing season, but the plastic planter can be moved into the greenhouse as a backup plan. I hope I can see both crops happen. Next year, I will do this much earlier.

I made two grafting - one died (tomato stem failed, potato stem kept growing), and the other survived (both tomato and potato stems kept growing).

I will make another batch for 3-4 stems. The potatoes are the leftover (too small) growing from the first harvest, and the tomato is a robust and common variety - yellow pear cherry tomato.
8501.jpg

Meanwhile, I started to ferment two varieties to save their seeds.
8500.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With a grafted tomato/potato do you get both potatoes and tomatoes? Interesting!
Yes, it uses potato as the rootstock and tomato as the scion. Ideally, as they belong to the same family, the scion and the rootstock parts should keep functioning as a normal plant. So, at the end of the day, there will still be cherry tomatoes on the vine and potatoes under the ground.

I did this a bit too late this year and should start such grafting earlier next year, said June or July.

However, I can still move my experiment into the greenhouse if the frost comes too early.

POMATO

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First, after 2.5 years, I got the virus. DH got it on Aug 30 or earlier, and I also got a line on the test area. I might go for a PCR test on Monday, but so far, I am ok. Most of the symptoms are in the throat, and I sound like a Bass for these few days.
8541_0.jpg

I just got the fresh ginger from a local farm - now more and more farms in Germany start growing gingers. That's absolutely good news; I didn't have fresh ginger after leaving Taiwan in 2015.
8504.jpg

So, I made a lot of hot herb tea for myself - with ginger slices and lemon (I bought bulk from the farmer and poured the juice into the ice tray, which is easy to store and use).
8544_0.jpg

The propagated florist's daisy plants are full of flower buds now. Magic of life!
8591.jpg

Roses in the orchard area - I still have limited time to take some care of them. What I can do now is to mulch them and do the rest the next spring.
8592.jpg

As we have to stay home for about two weeks, besides the routine chores and part-time work, gardening and reading are the best activities. I sowed another two trays of leafy greens for the coming dark months.
8590_0.jpg

Baking is also a good choice!
8588.jpg