Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This week, I will lift as many Dahlias as possible. The frost killed most of their stems and leaves; besides, my new tulip bulbs are arriving.

So, those in the plastic planters and 10 Liter pots would be lifted, roughly cleaned, dried for a few days, and then stored in the cartons. The old soil will be recycled and reused after mixing it with homemade compost.
10254.jpg

Although these tubers were transplanted into 10L pots, there are a lot of new tubers.
10256.jpg

So, when you have a small tuber, it's pretty suitable to pre-sprout and transplant it into a "bottomless (Yes, I removed the bottom)" pot. The plant didn't need to compete with the weeds or adapt to the soil in its early stage. However, it can freely access the ground when it is much more ready and need more nutrients than the pot can offer.

Of course, regular feed is still necessary as we expect them to keep blossoming. This is a potted Café au Lait, and it's pretty healthy. I moved it and another four pots into the greenhouse before the frost arrived, so they are still thriving.
10260.jpg

This year, I won't divide them now. I will wait until next spring and decide.
10253.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The new tulip bulbs start arriving. So, zinnia and cosmos out, tulips in. I covered those bulbs with recycled pot soil and compost and then sowed some field beans.
10344_0.jpg

Same for the plastic planters - tulip on the bottom, purple Pak Choy, and cherry radish on the top.
10335.jpg

MUMs are blossoming.
10341_0.jpg

The mother plant is staying in the greenhouse and is about to blossom.
10332.jpg

Two pots are much darker pink.
10343.jpg

I can start my combination next spring and enjoy multi-color MUMs next autumn.
10342_0.jpg

Dahlias that were moved into the greenhouse two weeks ago successfully escaped from the frost.
10334.jpg

This one shows her flowers so late.
10333.jpg

Blueberry leaves also changed into autumn colors.
10338.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dahlias that are still blossoming in the greenhouse or near the chicken run

Dinnerplate: Islander, main stem removed.
8035.jpg

This one is also quite huge, as I didn't remove the main stem and it's growing in a big raised bed. It looks like a much lower profiled Show N Tell. :lol:
8036.jpg

Painted Lady, it seems to be a dinnerplate, too. But I removed the main stem, so the flowers are closer to the normal size. This one is very reliable, robust, and productive.
8007.jpg

My 2023 plan for Dahlia is to build a Dahlia patch and plant all tubers I have now on the ground. The containers will be used for growing new varieties (if I fall in love with some other varieties later).

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried to use the volunteer materials from the garden to make a mini bonsai: fir, moss, pebble, and a small terracotta pot. Bonsai is another universe that I might want to step into. Who knows.
8107.jpg

I also cleaned some small areas with grass shear and used the grass and leaves to cover a few beds.
8109.jpg

I also transplanted sprouted sweet potatoes from water to the 9cm pots, dug out two chili plants, and transplanted them back into pots so that they could overwinter in the greenhouse. I never tried this method, but there is nothing to lose.
10684.jpg

10685.jpg

Basil cuttings successfully root and will be moved to the indoor window sill. The greenhouse is too cold for them.
10687.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that, by chance, a "Douglas fir," Phaedra?

When I moved from Oregon to the California coast in the '60's, I had evergreen bonsai that had been growing a short time as I was thinking that it would be a fun project.

The California bugstation ... uhh ... "Border Protection Service!" took away my plants :oops:. I never returned to the project.

Steve

Latest posts