Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Summer Asters, the germination rate is surprisingly high!
11777.jpg

The growth of the potato stem cuttings also looks very promising. After searching online, I realized that this method is quite often used.
11778.jpg

It's still freezing today (and tomorrow). But from the coming weekend, it will become much warmer, finally.
11779.jpg

The three new pullets finally learned how to leave their coop in the morning (but didn't know how to go back in the evening...even there are two adult hens as their role models) and also enjoyed the feed here.
11780.jpg
Today's discounter treasure hunt - 12 Yogurt (each 250g) for 2.6 Euro.
11784.jpg

My FIL had a much sharper mind today and can finally understand what happened in Ukraine.
11782.jpg

We just realized that many truck drivers working here are, in fact, from Ukraine, and many of them decided to go home to fight for their country. We saw this on the highway this afternoon.
11783.jpg

Today's last task is making a new space for hens to work and play. So far, so good - and we will try to use PVC pipes (50mm) later to build a polytunnel.
11781.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I am swamped. Spring arrives, and there are so many gardening things waiting. Sowing is only a tiny part of that. I am not hurrying to sow anything this year, although I want to plant much more than last year.

I will say I am much more disciplined now - after all, like all other things in our lives, gardening is also about knowing what we really want, how to prioritize and compromise under current circumstances. What I sowed in the past few weeks are those that can tolerate the spring here - peas, broad beans, brassica family, onion family, spinach, beetroot, and swiss chards.
1957.jpg

1955.jpg

1951.jpg

1946.jpg

I also used stem cuttings and lateral crowns to propagate potatoes and strawberries.
1954.jpg

1952.jpg

Peas that are ready for transplantation.
1948.jpg

The third batch of broad beans
1947.jpg

Girls are doing fine. Bravi is the one in the front, fully recovered from the sparrowhawk attack.
11972.jpg

Eggs, eggs, and more eggs :lol:
11828.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am also sprouting some perennials that I bought from the discounters. Huu, their prices are really "friendly," although they might not be as unique as those are sold by the gardening centers or nurseries.
img (1).jpg

11902.jpg

img.jpg

11903.jpg

My favorite material for writing what I have planted - is yogurt cups.
11970.jpg

11899.jpg

This greenhouse is one of the best investments in my life so far.
1962.jpg

1961.jpg

Bees are busy, too.

11980.jpg

11978.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We just used PVC pipes and nets to cover the chicken run - it's safer for them, and the space is still quite comfortable when we walk in and work inside.
1989_0.jpg

Lucky birds - they do have a good life here.
1994.jpg

After 10 days of good weather, it rains today. My husband is on leave until the weekend, so I have more time for myself. I decided to spend some hours on my seed collections and decide what I like to sow next.
12062.jpg

12061.jpg

The photo was taken yesterday, and as usual, I didn't remember which variety of tulips I'd planted here. Let's see.
1991.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The last work today - I cleaned and re-organized the west side of the greenhouse. Another two amazon basic shelves will arrive tomorrow. So before the weekend, this side will be ready for the peak sowing season.
2016.jpg

I also used the same method to combine water-proof cold white LED strips with the other two shelves. They look neat and efficient.
2018.jpg

My personal laboratory :lol:
2019.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first work today is cleaning the glass wall, which separates the greenhouse into two compartments. It has a different feeling to watch those plants through the glass.
12107.jpg

After several hours, the re-arrangement of the west side is almost ready, just waiting for the new potting table.

The white Japanese camellia, like a dream
12105.jpg

I also did a lot of sowing and transplanting - two varieties of zinnia, Cayenne pepper, two types of eggplants, sage, wild garlic, Shiso, two varieties of Basil.

Edible chrysanthemum - it's one of my favorite leafy greens in the springtime.
2041.jpg

12 Echinacea plants grew from home saved seeds, and this is their second year. The new growth looks very promising, and I can't wait to see their beautiful flowers.
2042.jpg

Leggy and pale potato stem cuttings - after just one week in the greenhouse, they show such a strong will to thrive.
2044.jpg

The young shoots of bleeding-hearts - this is my first time planting bleeding hearts. The color of young leaves is so lovely.
2043.jpg

This is a pot of florist's daisy, and I bought it last autumn from the discounter. It successfully overwintered, and I decided to re-pot it.

I cleaned them up and removed some old leaves. As expected, these were propagated from three individual stems, and each is well-rooted after staying in the greenhouse for months.
12147.jpg

Now they are three new plants.
12146.jpg

I found some dried Iris pods. As those seeds stayed outside till now, no additional treatment is needed. I sowed about 30 seeds.
12150.jpg

12149.jpg

A very hard-working but fruitful day - now my bed is calling me. Good night!

Latest posts