Philippine Food Celebration

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my bro's is married to a Filipina and when her family gets together to celebrate her mom's 90th last nite, we all feasted! We enjoy Paedra's food pics so I thought I'd share these.

nTdiOpd.jpg

fOSs380.jpg

dsxjP6S.jpg

5WxKprE.jpg

HNrqaQR.jpg

o9IG45P.jpg

OubgGqS.jpg

Whole pig, slow roasted over a spit. Stuffed with lemon grass and scallions.
some sort of little pork with bone thingies, and then bitter melon with greens and chicken.
Whole stuffed fish.
Pancit
Two salmon dishes and some other dishes
Sweet rice with chicken and fresh ginger. OMGOSH!! No cream, or milk, but soooooo deep with the flavor of the fresh ginger. A soup to top with green onions, lime and garlic oil.

The bestest news my friends?
1. after 40 people dug thru that pig, I got to take it all home. Bags of bones, meat and the head. Three legs. Another man wanted the shank leg that had been untouched.
2. Took the fish and then zip bags of other things.

I wanted to scrounge thru the trash can but bro said he's give me $30 to NOT GO THRU THE TRASH CAN and with that I could buy a bag of chicken food. I'd rather have the trash bag of food, frankly, to hoard for my 12 chickens.

It all went into the freezer at sis's. At home I'll do what I do with free food. Pick the meat, simmer the bones for bone broth then can, find stuff for us to eat, and the left over for the chickens and dogs.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my bro's is married to a Filipina and when her family gets together to celebrate her mom's 90th last nite, we all feasted! We enjoy Paedra's food pics so I thought I'd share these.

nTdiOpd.jpg

fOSs380.jpg

dsxjP6S.jpg

5WxKprE.jpg

HNrqaQR.jpg

o9IG45P.jpg

OubgGqS.jpg

Whole pig, slow roasted over a spit. Stuffed with lemon grass and scallions.
some sort of little pork with bone thingies, and then bitter melon with greens and chicken.
Whole stuffed fish.
Pancit
Two salmon dishes and some other dishes
Sweet rice with chicken and fresh ginger. OMGOSH!! No cream, or milk, but soooooo deep with the flavor of the fresh ginger. A soup to top with green onions, lime and garlic oil.

The bestest news my friends?
1. after 40 people dug thru that pig, I got to take it all home. Bags of bones, meat and the head. Three legs. Another man wanted the shank leg that had been untouched.
2. Took the fish and then zip bags of other things.

I wanted to scrounge thru the trash can but bro said he's give me $30 to NOT GO THRU THE TRASH CAN and with that I could buy a bag of chicken food. I'd rather have the trash bag of food, frankly, to hoard for my 12 chickens.

It all went into the freezer at sis's. At home I'll do what I do with free food. Pick the meat, simmer the bones for bone broth then can, find stuff for us to eat, and the left over for the chickens and dogs.
:drool Now you know what I've been eating for most of my adult life, and why I grow so many Asian vegetables. You are fortunate to have had the lechon baboy (roast pig), cooking that is an art.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know, Zeed. :loveDo you grow bitter melon? Our friend electrician, who lives in Calif, and is a Tongan, always talked about bitter melon. Id sure love to take some lessons. My fav is Pancit. I can eat it for days, both cold and reheated. American food is quite boring nowadays.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know, Zeed. :loveDo you grow bitter melon? Our friend electrician, who lives in Calif, and is a Tongan, always talked about bitter melon. Id sure love to take some lessons. My fav is Pancit. I can eat it for days, both cold and reheated. American food is quite boring nowadays.
Bitter melon is my avatar. :lol: It is "ampalaya" to our Filipino friends. I grow at least one variety every year, grew 3 kinds in 2021. The vines are strong climbers, and can produce as heavily as cucumbers DW liked it pickled with ginger, and loved sharing the summer bounty with her Filipino friends. Not crazy about BM myself, but I will continue to grow it & to share with friends in her memory.

It is very good for diabetics, since bitter melon helps to lower blood sugar. The vines need strong support (such as a trellis or fence) and are easy to grow; but they do need heat. Bitter melon can be a challenge for cooler areas of the PNW. I have one variety that has succeeded there, in a multi-variety trial by someone in Washington state... highly productive, short DTM, but very bitter.

I told Grandson that bitter melons were 'frog cucumbers', because of the warted appearance. Yeah, I know frogs are not warted... but had to go with that because bitter melons are 'Kermit green', and 'toad cucumbers' is just wrong. :lol:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I told Grandson that bitter melons were 'frog cucumbers', because of the warted appearance. Yeah, I know frogs are not warted... but had to go with that because bitter melons are 'Kermit green', and 'toad cucumbers' is just wrong. :lol:
Good thing you weren't growing a white fruited one that year, or a Chinese type one (since those tend to be more wrinkled and ridged than warty)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good thing you weren't growing a white fruited one that year, or a Chinese type one (since those tend to be more wrinkled and ridged than warty)
The one I grew this year was white fruited (although that shows up poorly in this photo). I grew a different white variety several years ago, but it was unusually prone to rot & blemishes. This variety had no issues, and was loonnggg...
20220916_170244.jpg

or a Chinese type one (since those tend to be more wrinkled and ridged than warty)
Hmmm... most of the Chinese & Japanese varieties I've grown (including the one in my avatar) have been warted, and milder in flavor. Those from India, though, tend to be the ridged or pointed-wart type. I only grow one of the latter, and it is the bitterest one I've tasted. @Pulsegleaner , I'm looking forward to trying the ones you sent.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I see, it's a terminology thing. I would consider the one in your avatar to be ridges or wrinkled (as is the white one). The Indian kind is what I think of as warty, not having those long ridges on the sides but just bumps all over. A Balsam Apple would also be warty.

Latest posts